Is it true the the 2020 Rebel only has 6 zerks to grease??

manlystanley

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Is it true the the 2020 Rebel only has 6 zerks to grease??
I am looking into buying a 2020 Rebel (Outlaw) and I've always had mowers that had lots of zerks. I grease these faithfully and everything runs smooth. It seems odd that even the Rebels Deck spindle does not have zerks. Have I read the manual wrong? How many zerks does it have?

Thanks for your help. Lastly: do you Rebel owners love the tractor????

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
It could be possible to only have 6 zerks. Sounds like the spindles are using sealed bearings which has mixed reviews. Even most of the greasable spindles will used sealed bearings with the inner seals removed for grease entrance. but if somebody tries to over grease them it will damage the outer seals and lead to bigger issues than somebody that never greased.

I work on a lot of mowers that the only zerks are on the front tires. Maybe the steering spindles on the front axle.

Phil P

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi

We have a 2010 ZT 60 inch I have replaced the engine some of the blade spindle bearings and wheel bearings so far I have not found a reason for the zerk fittings all beatings are sealed and greasing the zerks doesn’t do anything.

Phil P

Last edited:

AVB

Threads
Here when I install new sealed bearings I remove the seals, wash out the poor quality grease, refill with EP2 or water resistance version depending on the application, and reinstall the seals. This is especially true for any Made in China bearing. The Chinese grease tend to dry out rather quickly during operation plus many of the bearing I repack have little grease in them to start with.

Phil P

Forum Newbie
Threads
We have mowed 10 acres once a week for 7 months of the year for 10 years.

Having to change the sealed bearings in on blade spindle and both front wheels during that time period (10 years) is not bad.

I replace them with sealed bearing manufactured in Canada by Timken.

Phil P

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have an Exmark walk behind with over 3500 hours on it with sealed spindle bearings with no failures to date. Just saying that sealed spindle bearings can be long-lived.

manlystanley

Forum Newbie
Threads
Great feedback, thanks!