Is it possible to remove a flywheel doing the hammer and pry bar technique but without the pry bar and with a wrench instead.

TJRoss

Threads
  • / Is it possible to remove a flywheel doing the hammer and pry bar technique but without the pry bar and with a wrench instead.
I don't have a pry bar so I'm just using a small wrench to get under and push up on the flywheel instead while I hammer on it. No luck thus far. Do you need a lot of force pushing up when you do this? I have also seen videos of a guy with the same mower as me just pushing up removing the flywheel with two pry bar at the front of the mower.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
  • / Is it possible to remove a flywheel doing the hammer and pry bar technique but without the pry bar and with a wrench instead.
Basically that is how it works. I have even tried a tool andsince it had loan several times got them for a discounted price.

Tinkerer200

Threads
Use a puller, but I question if auto store is going to have the proper puller. I have pictures of hole punched in top of engine from prying method. Block is very thin in some places there. You can easily make a proper puller yourself.

Walt Conner

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
A harmonic balancer puller usually works on most Briggs although some of the walk behind mounted engines will need the puller holes tapped.

Richard B

Forum Newbie
Threads
I used an 8 inch gear puller from Screwfix... £25.... but used it for a bunch of other stuff too so worth buying

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Applying some upward pressure to the flywheel on a vertical shaft engine is important. Doing so lifts the crankshaft up, giving the crankshaft a little bit of room for the crank to move when tapped by the hammer. Otherwise the crank just rests on the thrust bearing surface without any room to pop loose from the flywheel.

You don't have to hit the crank hard; just tap it.