Is cutting hydraulic hose only way to get it off the fitting

Threejack

Threads
  • / Is cutting hydraulic hose only way to get it off the fitting
Putting a new oring/seal under the cap on my hydraulic pumps on STC-48A. I was disconnecting the hoses and could not get the small 3/8” line pulled off this fitting without cutting/slicing the hose. Is that the intent of this type of fitting and cutting and replacing the hoses is expected when doing pump repair?66EF24EE-32D6-4F65-84EF-B4FDA2269B40.jpeg

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
is that a low pressure oil line or a breather?

Threejack

Threads
is that a low pressure oil line or a breather?
I’m not sure, can’t quite figure out the system yet, first time I’ve done hydraulic repair on this mower.
The 3/8 flexible hose starts at the top of the oil reservoir and proceed to a tee fitting (shown in picture) on the right side ( as you sit on mower) of the left pump and then continues to the top right side of right pump.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Low pressure return lines to the hydraulic oil reverse tank.

And yes if the hoses are harden they must be cut off and replaced. Be careful not the damage the fittings as they are very expensive from Scag at $33 plus shc. They also should have hose clamps on them. The hose itself is a 3/8" push lock type. Scag sells it by the inch.

Note: Any oil hose can harden from heat. Just a Kawasaki engine where I had cut the oil cooler hoses off as they was basically rock hard which is why they were leaking.

Threejack

Threads
The only place I found the multi-shouldered “push on type” fittings during this ring replace that job was on the return lines on left hand pump (top right side of left pump) I used a box knife and was careful to try and not damage the fitting, and even then I put some small nicks in the fitting, which I smoothed out with some Emory cloth. I couldn’t believe how soft that fitting was. All of the rest of the places where hydraulic hoses were attached were “mushroom head” type fittings and the hose was easy to remove.

Attachments

• BDCB548B-8156-4755-92A6-6F8BEE59CB24.jpeg
    BDCB548B-8156-4755-92A6-6F8BEE59CB24.jpeg
    95.2 KB · Views: 5

deamer1

Threads
I have had a similar situation in the past with old hoses. What I did was to cut them as you did, then purchased new 3/8 in. (id) hose at NAPA. They sell it per foot. and replaced the hose clamps. Works well for me. Good luck on your project.