Is a Spark Arrestor Screen Needed

Kennykenny

Threads
I have a Stihl RS56RC trimmer that I acquired. I noticed that the spark arrestor screen is missing. Is it needed?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Because of the speed these engines run they throw a lot of red hot carbon flakes out the exhaust.
In dry places these can start a fire .
They can also burn the operator particularly if they are not wearing heavy cotton clothing or proper protective gear .
They have also ben known to get into peoples eyes and burn them ( very painful ).
Run your gear after dark to see just how much comes out.
The older the gear, the more spews out.
They are not needed for the gear to run and do cause problems from getting clogged and choking the engine.
So if you have common sense, are careful and mindful of the environment around where you are working then no they are not needed .

mikehouse

Threads
Because of the speed these engines run they throw a lot of red hot carbon flakes out the exhaust.
In dry places these can start a fire .
They can also burn the operator particularly if they are not wearing heavy cotton clothing or proper protective gear .
They have also ben known to get into peoples eyes and burn them ( very painful ).
Run your gear after dark to see just how much comes out.
The older the gear, the more spews out.
They are not needed for the gear to run and do cause problems from getting clogged and choking the engine.
So if you have common sense, are careful and mindful of the environment around where you are working then no they are not needed .
Wow!!!! Very well said,and I second that.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Any 2 stroke engine in the united states used in narional forests and certain other government lands are required to have a spark arrestor. Do you need it in your yard? Up to you. Will it run fine without it? Yes.