Is a craftsman engine a B&R engine?

Mrd80

Forum Newbie
Threads
Having issue mower will run about an hour starts surging. Then dies. Unless I release mow deck and push throttle to choke.
While sitting with it running for a few minutes but not driving it or engaging the deck It seems to catch its breath and keep running while I'm in choke.
At first I thought this was a fuel issue and I thought maybe that it was the fuel cut off solenoid in the bowl of the carburetor and expecting that it would heat up after time and fail but I replaced it and that did not solve the problem.
Now I'm starting to think it's a coil that's starting to overheat after a certain amount of time I did stop the mower for 20 minutes and it ran fine for a while but then started doing the same thing over again.

I took a video but unfortunately this site does not allow me to upload the video.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Usually that will be floating debris in the tank forming a plug .
The next most common cause is overheating because of debris under the blower housing blocking off the air supply.
After that is is an air leak around the carb &/or manifold .

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
*MOST* craftsman branded engines are Chinese engines, usually produced by Ducar or Loncin.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
*MOST* craftsman branded engines are Chinese engines, usually produced by Ducar or Loncin.
And if it is one of the Powermore engines need to remove the carb and make sure the screen deep down inside of the fuel inlet is clean.

nbpt100

Threads
It depends on the age of the mower as to who the manufacture is. Post the model number and serial number. most newer Cman engines are the MTD Powermore.

Bert gave good advice. I would follow that first before changing the coil. Make sure the blower fan does not have fins broken off. They are plastic and overtime weaken and can break off. Also check the valve clearances.