Intek v-twin valve adjustment procedures

primerbulb120

Threads
Hello everyone. I have un-disappeared myself, and it looks like several new techs have joined in my absence. Welcome to all!

Question... What valve adjustment procedures do you use on Briggs Intek V-twins? I'm aware of the factory procedure (setting each cylinder at 1/4" off TDC), but I'm curious to know how many are actually doing this versus setting them at TDC or setting one valve when the other is all the way open. For those of you using an alternative method to the factory procedure, is there a specific reason for this or is it just personal preference?

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Exhaust Open, Intake Closed.

Set the Intake when the exhaust valve just starts to open. Set the exhaust valve when the intake has just finished closing.

E-O-I-C

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I'm just an old fart that learned the old way and find it easier for me then having to find a long shaft to measure that 1/4 pass TDC compression stroke.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I use the open one valve all the way and adjust the other method. You just want the lifter on the heel of the cam. No need to fiddle with finding TDC and measuring 1/4". Faster, easier, simpler.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
At 1/4 passed TDC, you can adjust both valves at the same time. Right?

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
B&S Vanguard OHV Twin Cylinder Engine cold: Remove both spark plugs & rocker [ valve ] covers. From drivers seat number 1 cylinder is left side & number 2 cylinder is on right side. I start with no. 1 by rotating screen, top of engine, clockwise while inserting long phillips screwdriver in spark plug hole touching top of piston until piston is at TDC & both rockers are loose by hand, then add 1/4" clockwise. Both Intake & Exhaust valves are closed if both rockers are loose & ready for adjustment to .005. A slight drag should be felt when inserting .005 feeler gauge & removing gauge. Torque locknuts to 70 in. lbs. & recheck with gauge. Right cylinder is same procedure by rotating engine clockwise TDC plus 1/4" & both rocker arms loose.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
All depends how you have the engine mounted. Basically it is true when looking from the cylinder heads toward the crankshaft. When Horizontal PTO is facing away then #2 would on the left side when the operator sitting, not on the right side. Same with verticals with cylinders facing forward; away from sitting operator.

Vanguard Cylinder Numbers.pngVertical Twin cylinder.JPG