Increased Mowing Height for John Deere L111

Dr.Bob

Forum Newbie
Threads
Any suggestions on how to get a John Deere L111 to mow higher than 4"? I find it difficult to even adjust it to that height even though the mower adjustment system has an indicator for 4". I have several situations on my farm for mowing and would like to be able to adjust between about 3" and 6".
Any suggestions would be appreciated!

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
I do not think you have clearance between the top of the deck and the bottom of your tractor to get an additional 2 inches ...
The only way you could gain those 2 inches is to raise the tractor 2 inches...

Easiest way is larger tires wheels. You will have to go with a tire size with the first number increased by 4. That will net you a 2 inch increase in operating height.
You will have to check that your wheel wells will take that large of a tire, It appears there is a lot of room to up size.
Your lowest mowing setting will then be 3 inches instead of 1 inch... and your top height will be 6 instead of 4 inches.
That will make for a very different looking lawn tractor. If you do it POST some pictures, it will look good :thumbsup:, I think most all mowers look like they have too small tire wheel assemblies stock. KennyV

173abn

Threads
Dr.Bob, I've got a JD111 that I used to cut with and found that adjuster for the mowing height left a lot to be desired.I was thinking about doing what Kenny suggested but got a grasshopper so the deer sits in the barn semiretired. russ

Dr.Bob

Forum Newbie
Threads
KennyV:

I was afraid that new, larger tires was the only answer (any idea what the cost would be to replace all four?). I was just hoping for a "miracle fix." Now I just have to save up my pennies to get new tires. By the way, I recognized your address from the Kubota tractor forum. Where is DooDah?

173abn:

I am glad to hear that I am not the only one with this issue. I can't imagine why anyone would use the lowest mower height settings on this tractor (unless you are cutting the greens on a golf course!).

I have noticed that the model that replaced mine (L115) now only has a single cylinder engine! I am glad I got mine 6 years ago. It has been flawless in terms of engine and transmission performance and I use it a resonable amount. I now have about 200 hrs on it.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Ha ha DooDah is an old musicians slang expression referring to Wichita, Kansas...:laughing:

On your tires I am afraid you may need to go to tires AND rims..
I think you are running 15x6-6 on the front and 20x8-8 rear..

I'm not positive but on the top of my head the closest you will easily find to go up nearly as much as you want will be: front 18x8.50-8 and rear changed to 23x9.50-12

If you have any long time major brand dealer in your location, Check who has an old mower garden tractor 'bone yard'... lots of lawn tractors are traded in and dealers usually are not into selling older or not their house brand machines... so they accumulate over time and become a parts source for cannibalization on service work and customer parts needs... There are always places around like this... the parts/service people know where they are...
You will most likely find complete wheel tire assemblies all 4 for the price of one wheel and tire new.
:smile:
You will need to measure your front axle spindle length and diameter and the rear wheel mounting ... also watch wheel offset. But with those few measurements you will find some great deals that will keep you mowing for years.:thumbsup: KennyV

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Think I just spotted you on TBN... how many Dr. Bobs can there be from" Western NJ, the good part!":biggrin::biggrin:
Good to see you here on LMF also... KennyV

Dr.Bob

Forum Newbie
Threads
KennyV:

Thanks so much for all of the information. You are a fountain of knowledge!
I was thinking: how would the larger tires affect the overall drive ratio? The real question: will the larger tires cause a problem?
I'll let you know how it works out when I get around to it. Right now the wife has several projects that will keep me occupied for most of the summer. I will keep my eyes open for used tire/wheel combinations.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
You will have around a 22% increase in speed ... BUT because you have a true hydrostatic drive and infinitely variable trans you will never notice it except at the fastest speed, it will increase from 5.5 MPH to around 6.7 MPH...
You will not have a problem the rolling resistance will go down with larger tires and you will get a nicer smoother ride... KennyV

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
KennyV:
You are a fountain of knowledge!

:laughing: :laughing: I don't know about that... at times I feel my 'fountain' is barely a trickle.
I have modified everything from models to heavy Equipment, looking for what is more efficient or effective, or just out of necessity...
It is always interesting to see how other folks deal with the same problems.
After all the problems generally remain the same only the solutions or the approach to the solution changes.
I am always open to see how someone else will try to do it :cool:... KennyV