I'm Befuddled

foxnews

Forum Newbie
Threads
I trouble shot engine. The starter turns the crank, but the output shaft (at the bottom) doesn't turn. I put a socket wrench on the output shaft, and the flywheel turns. I took the spark plugs out and stuck a long screwdriver into each cylinder and was able to push the pistons all the way to the bottom. When I turn the flywheel or the bottom shaft, the pistons do not move. They remain at the bottom. Any guesses? Or conclusions?

I apperciate any help

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Parts of that explanation sound like broken rods, but the rest of the story sounds like crankshaft broken in multiple pieces. Which engine is this by model number

foxnews

Forum Newbie
Threads
Parts of that explanation sound like broken rods, but the rest of the story sounds like crankshaft broken in multiple pieces. Which engine is this by model number
Kohler CV730S

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
I do not know your engine but as to the pistons, if the plugs are 90 degrees to the pistons, you may not have actually pushed the pistons. For that trick to work the plugs have to be straight over the pistons. Some cylinders the plugs come in from the side. As to the crank, are you sure that the flywheel isn't loose with a sheared key? Sometime when keys shear and something spins it will lock one way and not the other. Same if the crank is broken. Put your finger over the plug hole when it cranks or when you turn the flywheel by hand, and bottom with a wrench. If the pistons are moving you will feel the air movement.

foxnews

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thats what I was thinking myself
I do not know your engine but as to the pistons, if the plugs are 90 degrees to the pistons, you may not have actually pushed the pistons. For that trick to work the plugs have to be straight over the pistons. Some cylinders the plugs come in from the side. As to the crank, are you sure that the flywheel isn't loose with a sheared key? Sometime when keys shear and something spins it will lock one way and not the other. Same if the crank is broken. Put your finger over the plug hole when it cranks or when you turn the flywheel by hand, and bottom with a wrench. If the pistons are moving you will feel the air movement.

foxnews

Forum Newbie
Threads
I can turn the engine over with key and insert a long screwdriver in the plug holes. (0 degrees. at the top of piston, not 90 degrees) and the piston does not move in and out like you would expect on a normal engine. I have spark and tried starting fluid and didn't get one cylinder to fire off. Crazy