I'm at a loss ZT7000 Blades will not engage

Dontcareo

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello. Thanks for reading and replying. I'll list all the details that I can.
ZT7000 Craftsman zero turn 50"
Briggs ELS Twin 22 HP
A few months ago I installed a new battery. The mower had ran as it should, just time to replace the battery. Bought a battery and installed it. I did not pay attention to the battery terminals on the new battery being opposite of the original (terminals toward me, positive on the left). Installed it and turned the key and the starter made that noise. I knew what it was and turned the battery around (terminals away from me positive on the right). Turned the key and it started right away. Runs as it should. Until I tried to engage the blades. Nothing. I assumed I shorted out the system. Got my meter and started checking. I found the voltage regulator had what appeared to be a melted hole on the black rubber portion. Replaced that. After that I thought it was the alternator, but it starts and drives fine.Moved on to the PTO switch, solenoid, electric clutch, etc. Nothing. So now it has turned into a project. Here's what I have replaced:
PTO Switch - have 12 volts at terminal to clutch
Electric Clutch - I have 3.7 ohms at the clutch
Ignition Switch
Circuit Breaker
Voltage Regulator
Solenoid
Battery - 12.6 volts on meter
All 4 push button switches at control arms
Plugs
And, the entire wiring harness - took 2 months to receive this part
Nothing. Still starts and drives fine. Blades will not engage. It is not the deck, blades or spindles. They all move freely. Belt and pulleys are fine. There is no fuse on this electrical system Several have said there is, but there is not an inline fuse. I also have a GT5000 craftsman which does have a fuse near the battery clipped to the frame. This one does not have it. It is not the seat safety switch. There is no reverse safety switch on this mower. I do not hear the magnet engage when I pull the PTO switch.

Could it be the alternator? Doesn't this just recharge the battery? What else could this be? I don't know of anything else with a wire that could have shorted that I haven't replaced. Thanks for your help.

Last edited:

Dontcareo

Forum Newbie
Threads
I do not know why this thread posted twice. Sorry. Haven't figured out how to delete one of them.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Take the clutch and apply 12 volts directly to it and see if it engages. There should be a diode in the circuit so observe polarity. If it works check the black wire in the clutch connector to ground. If good the will have to work through the switches.

Dontcareo

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yes the clutch engages. I have continuity on the ground at the PTO switch.