Ignition problem

John@86143

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm new to this forum. I have a Gravely Pro 20G with a 20hp engine. I bought it used about 20 years ago. It has been an wonderful machine. I have ran into a problem. I cannot start the engine with the ignition switch. I bought a new switch and it worked for awhile, but now it is doing the same thing. I have checked and tightened the battery wires, tightened the solenoid wires. I can jump the battery wire from the solenoid to the wire to the starter and with the key on the engine starts. I have sprayed the wires that connect to the ignition with electrical wire cleaner, no help. I am at a loss at what to do next. Any help would be appreciated. I apologize for not following the sign in new members. I was on a kindle and over looked the introduction part.

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
John,
You have a cranking circuit failure
On the solenoid there should be one or two small connections at the base.
These are the trigger wire (s) that trip the solenoid to power the starter.
With the key in the S position one must be battery voltage and if there are 2 trigger wires the other must be ground.
The easy test is to jump from the battery post to the trigger post.
If the solenoid trips & the engine cranks then the solenoid is fine and you problem is with the parking brake, lap bar , pto or seat switches or the relays they rip or the wires between them.
So test the solenoid & the trigger wires &let us know what you have & what you find .

tbzep

Threads
Good explanation, Bert. Reminds me of my high school days when half of us kept screwdrivers in our old 60's and 70's cars and trucks so we could start 'em up when we had electrical issues.

John@86143

Forum Newbie
Threads
The solenoid is good. The brown wire (ground) is broken somewhere in the wire bundle. Thanks for the help.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Trace it back
One of the switches in the daisy chain will be faulty
Get your hands on a wiring diagram.
Not sure where Gravely hide theirs.

John@86143

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks I have a 20hp kolher engine. I'll try to look up a wiring diagram

Thornback

Forum Newbie
Threads
When I experienced a starting problem with my 20-year-old John Deere lawn tractor and the solenoid and ignition checked good I just purchased a spring loaded push button electrical switch and wired it between the battery and solenoid. Not kosher but now I just turn on the key and press the starter button. I like the push button start and the fix cost me about $5.

Richie F

Threads
Thanks I have a 20hp kolher engine. I'll try to look up a wiring diagram

Being it's 20 years old I would think most of a wiring in these types ride ons would be the same.