Idler Bracket

Stratman

Forum Newbie
Threads
How to remove center double idler Bracket part number 783-04442 on a Troy bilt super bronco
ModelJ609

Stratman

Forum Newbie
Threads
The bracket is number 43 the 2 idler pulleys number 40 are attached to it. The nut is number 14 that is the one I don't know how to remove. Thanks for any help!
20210419_145822.jpg

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
well you might need some help as one wrench goes on the nut inside the operator tower behind the motor and another wrench goes on the head the hex screw going the flat idler under the frame.

Stratman

Forum Newbie
Threads
well you might need some help as one wrench goes on the nut inside the operator tower behind the motor and another wrench goes on the head the hex screw going the flat idler under the frame.
Thanks for the reply but I can't find the nut. Do I have to remove the tower or something.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Should just take careful looking, just not the easiest to find sometimes.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
From memory that nut sits between the frame plate and a strengthening plate so you can not see it when you look down from above .
There is a plate that the steering shaft goes through and the nut is under that so it is a case of feeling for it .
And again from memory I had to use a zero offset ring to go over the head then turn the bolt enough to jamb the spanner against the frame.
or it gets access from underneath through that funny shaped hole again with great difficulty
Sorry but I do not fix enough of them to remember clearly enough .
I do remember that the underneath one required both pulleys to be removed first .
Look at the Steering Assembly page to see the plate # 783-0653C that covers the nut .

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Tnx Bert, its been nearly 10 yrs since I took the last one apart here in my shop. Most of this version of MTD is gone from my area.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
And I would be happy if no MTD made machines came into mine .
But then without impossible challenges life would be boring

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Bert is right on. I made myself a stubby 1/2” box wrench to reach in through the access hole in the chassis, if I remember right it is a standard nut, which I replaced with a flange nut when I reinstalled it, which made it a little easier to hold.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
And I would be happy if no MTD made machines came into mine .
But then without impossible challenges life would be boring
Maybe that many OEM quit using carriage bolts so just it more challenging by to loosen the fender pan on some models. Strange the square is still there so I put a carriage bolt back so the next will have a easier time.