Ideas for stocking my Mobile Small Engine Rescue Van

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I get around most people wanting onsite service by charging an higher labor rate for onsite service for the reasons you mention PT. To do full time onsite would require me to purchase huge enclosed trailer with generated power. This way I could carry most of my tools and many of the parts needed. Which in turn require me to purchase a bigger pull vehicle. Matter of fact I would something the size of a big rig and trailer.

Most customer will find a way to get the equipment into my shop.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Hand helds and push mowers must come to me
However I am happy to do on site jobs & my customers really appreciate it
I charge out at the same rate but book out an extra 1/2 hour .
The mobile tool box lives in the van with it's own set of ( cheap ) tools
Mostly this is for breakdowns and most times I do a temporary repair then book the mower in for a full service
Now I only do 1 or 2 jobs a day so it is not like it costs me money and in any case I am yet the build the trailer so I am limited to 48" decks on the trailer
I always find it funny that some one will buy a 10 acre block but not have a vehicle that can tow a trailer .
The shops from town charge $ 100 ( aus ) each way for pick up & delivery

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hand helds and push mowers must come to me
However I am happy to do on site jobs & my customers really appreciate it
I charge out at the same rate but book out an extra 1/2 hour .
The mobile tool box lives in the van with it's own set of ( cheap ) tools
Mostly this is for breakdowns and most times I do a temporary repair then book the mower in for a full service
Now I only do 1 or 2 jobs a day so it is not like it costs me money and in any case I am yet the build the trailer so I am limited to 48" decks on the trailer
I always find it funny that some one will buy a 10 acre block but not have a vehicle that can tow a trailer .
The shops from town charge $ 100 ( aus ) each way for pick up & delivery

$200 for P&D? Sounds like he doesn't like P&D. LMAO..
Why not do push mowers on location? Those are easy peasy, usually.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
It is 10 miles to town from here & 15 from the edge of my service footprint.
SO that is a 20 to 30 mile round trip , not much change out of 1 hour.

Set fee servicing
Push mowers - $ 45 + parts
SP mowers = $ 60 + parts
Tractor ride ons $ 350 + parts
ZTR's = $ 400 + parts

I only know of one tech who does home servicing of push mowers and he charges $ 30 Flat fee, filter, plugs , oil & blades included .
He also replaces starter ropes ( no extra ) and wheels +/- bearings for extra
And this is to SERVICE a running mower and he does all of them twice a year.
However he does them in runs so he will do an entire street / suburb in a single run over a day or 3
He buys the oil in 44 gallon drums directly from the blender and the filters in hundreds direct from the factorys in China so gets them for a few pennies
Blades come through the wholesalers in workshop packs of 1000 pairs (we use swing back blades ) , don't know where he gets bar blades from as very few wholesalers keep much in the way of Yankee push mower bar blades down here .
Thus he is only a couple of minutes between jobs and can knock over up to 40 / day on a good day
And because he sees every mower every 6 months knows exactly what is needed to be done to each of them
Calls himself "First Pull Mower Servicing" does not advertise & works a 5 day week , cash only .
I get some cast off repairs of hand helds for some of his customers that are reasonably close ( about 15 miles away )
Tells me he has around 2500 customers
I bump into him now & then when picking up parts from one wholesaler.
Now I can see Honda SP owners paying $ 60 / year for servicing mowers that are all north of $ 1000 be he reckons about 1/3 are supermarket home brands that were $ 100 to $ 200 brand new

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I was a traveling service rep for 40 years. Had its plus and minuses. The local JD dealer i get parts from has a mobile service van and wanted to hire me to run mobile mower service with it. I told the owner no thanks. He can't keep anyone to do it. I don't do mobile service. I have a 6 x 12 trailer and most of my business i pick up and deliver. It would take a very large outlay of cash to properly purchase and outfit an enclosed trailer to do mobile service. I probably wouldn't live long enough to turn a profit. Some folks think charging $150 an hour for mobile service is outrageous but it isn't. By the time you figure in all the overhead like fuel, vehicle insurance, liability insurance, vehicle payment, vehicle maintenance and the like $150 isn't wrong.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I did field work myself for 16 yrs.Actually it was considered one man service office. Many times I had to make second trips after parts came in. And that particular work didn't need the tools I need for the repairs I do now. I have done some local on site repairs and it took several trips most times as I always seem to need tools and parts that I did carry with me on the first trip.