I replace the carburetor on my HR 215 when I try to start it it only runs on high RPMs

Tvandame

Threads
  • / I replace the carburetor on my HR 215 when I try to start it it only runs on high RPMs
I have a Honda HR 215. I rebuilt the carburetor, and when I go to start it, it only runs on high high RPMs.

Forest#2

Threads
  • / I replace the carburetor on my HR 215 when I try to start it it only runs on high RPMs
You need to flog the carb again, most likely.

Sometimes about the only thing that is reasonable priced about a Honda engine is a replacement carb. (at less than $20 with free shipping.

Tvandame

Threads
What do you mean by, flog the carb again? I tore apart a lot of carburetors and we built them for the last 40 years and never heard of that term or had this issue.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
If the OEM Honda carbs are only 20 bucks, I wouldn't waste time cleaning them if that is true.

catbob

Threads
check your linkage from the carb to the governor arm, might be binding or in the wrong holes on the carb

Tvandame

Threads
The linkage only goes in one spot and there is only one hole for the spring.When the engine is at rest and stop, does the throttle go to wide open?

Forest#2

Threads
You asked:.When the engine is at rest and stop, does the throttle go to wide open?

Yes.

and with the engine not running:
feel of the governor arm or throttle and You normally can move it towards idle but it will be spring loaded and move back to open throttle when you turn it loose.
Also after you start the engine the governor should move the throttle towards lower rpms and you should be able to pull the carb governor arm back towards idle.
If you loosened the governor arm clamp or moved the governor arm when you removed/installed the carb
you need to check the governor static adjust procedure.
Do you know if the engine governor was OK BEFORE you removed the carb????(or is this a new to you engine)

Tvandame

Threads
Last year when I change oil and ran the car by the gas, it was surging so I figured the carbon need to be changed or repaired. I pulled it out this year and just pulled the carpet part. Put it back together. Last year it ran at low speed, but it surged a lot. I rebuilt the car cleaned everything out three times and it just runs at high speed when I put it back together

Tvandame

Threads
Not the car, the carburetor

Tvandame

Threads
I don’t know if my reply went through. Last fall when I change the oil and winterized it, it was just surging. The spring I just took the carb off rebuilt it put it back on.