I need suggestions on how to remove rear wheels on ride on craftsman tractor. I haven't been able to remove Key on wheel shaft. Thanks

flbradjr

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / I need suggestions on how to remove rear wheels on ride on craftsman tractor. I haven't been able to remove Key on wheel shaft. Thanks
I need suggestions on how to remove rear wheels on ride on craftsman tractor. I haven't been able to remove Key on wheel shaft. Thanks

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
  • / I need suggestions on how to remove rear wheels on ride on craftsman tractor. I haven't been able to remove Key on wheel shaft. Thanks
There's no need to remove the key. I suspect the problem is your wheel is rusted to the axle. DO NOT try to beat it off. Been there, done that. A couple of things you can try.
First things first, spray some liquid wrench, WD40 or something along those lines into the keyway slot. And on the back of the wheel. If you have compressed air, spray the fluid where I said, then blow it into the wheel. This will help get the fluid inside the wheel and on the axle.
If you have a parts store close by, and your wheels have two small holes in them, buy you a puller and trying pulling it off.

If that doesn't work, you're going to need to heat the wheel (where it meets the axle) til its red hot. Then cool it off quickly with water. Then use the puller or air hammer.

If you don't have those things, then your local small engine shop should be able to get the wheels off the axle and not charge you an arm and a leg. If it's the tires you're needed to replace/repair, they can do that for you also.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I use an air hammer and a pair of scissor jacks.
The jacks go between the wheel & side of the mower & get done up tight enough to take all the slack out of the axel so there is no load on the tranny .
Then lots of penetrant down the key slot and attack it with an air hammer
When the jacks slip down wire brush, steel wool on the axel, some more penetrant, work the wheel back & forth a bit.
Still stuck, then back to the jacks & air hammer.

Now a few tricks, replace the axel botl with a an allan headed cap screw to protect the end of the shaft.
Put as much weight on the end of the air hammer as you can. It should not be bouncing around, just clicking and vibrating your fingers.
Worst one I ever had was Rider Pro 25 years old and never had a wheel off. Took better than 2 days
When you replace the wheel put plenty of axel grease on the nicely cleaned axel fill the keyway shove the key in the fill it again and make sure you have the dust seal over the end.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
I use an air hammer and a pair of scissor jacks.
The jacks go between the wheel & side of the mower & get done up tight enough to take all the slack out of the axel so there is no load on the tranny .
Then lots of penetrant down the key slot and attack it with an air hammer
When the jacks slip down wire brush, steel wool on the axel, some more penetrant, work the wheel back & forth a bit.
Still stuck, then back to the jacks & air hammer.

Now a few tricks, replace the axel botl with a an allan headed cap screw to protect the end of the shaft.
Put as much weight on the end of the air hammer as you can. It should not be bouncing around, just clicking and vibrating your fingers.
Worst one I ever had was Rider Pro 25 years old and never had a wheel off. Took better than 2 days
When you replace the wheel put plenty of axel grease on the nicely cleaned axel fill the keyway shove the key in the fill it again and make sure you have the dust seal over the end.

One might think they'd put a grease zerk in those back wheels, opposite of the keyway.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
In the routine service schedule it states the wheels come off every 200 hours.
I got caught out a couple of times with flats just after I had serviced them so now it has become an every service job.
Only takes a few minutes and I add it to the labour section "remove rear wheels & grease axels " but not as a line item just as part of the description of labour .

Last edited:

flbradjr

Forum Newbie
Threads
Appreciate the helpful comments. Rainy day. Soon as the weather clears - I'm out there. Thanks again....