I Hope You Order New Equipment ASAP

ronnie2233

Forum Newbie
Threads
I recently ordered a new Ferris 2200isx in November. My dealer has no idea when it will arrive, or how much it would cost. I contacted Ferris and was told the same thing, sorry but we cant give you a delivery date or price. My dealer told me he could get me a new Toro 4000 by February. How can Toro produce zero turns but Ferris can't? I hope the rest of y'all were smart enough to order new equipment earlier than I was.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Ferris is part of the Simplicity group which is owned by Briggs. And I think Briggs is still dealing with bankruptcy issues.

Mower King

Threads
I recently ordered a new Ferris 2200isx in November. My dealer has no idea when it will arrive, or how much it would cost. I contacted Ferris and was told the same thing, sorry but we cant give you a delivery date or price. My dealer told me he could get me a new Toro 4000 by February. How can Toro produce zero turns but Ferris can't? I hope the rest of y'all were smart enough to order new equipment earlier than I was.
We just got 1, 2022 Ferris IS2200 and 2, 2022 Ferris IS 600 in our Dealership last month along with 44, 2022 Bad Boys. There are more Ferris, Bad Boy's and Cub Cadets on the way!
We are in Mid MO

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Well Briggs definitely don't have their act together...I am surprised they haven't completely folded yet. Taking six months to deliver parts is ridiculous. I probably start turning away Briggs engine next Spring if things don't.

Hope OP don't get a massive surprise bill for the mower but personally I don't order things without knowing the upfront costs. Without an agreed to price they can charge whatever they want to.

That what I hate about doctors. they want to do medical tests but will not quote a cost. I went to my doctor back on the 1 st December when he didn't tell me he wouldn't see me until he get blood work done. He could have called and let me know ahead of time instead me wasting the time waiting in the waiting room. Now I got to the test and pay for it before I can even setup another appointment. And I am out my meds which he refuses to prescribe before he see the blood report. Damg my blood is hitting close to 200/120 now since I am out meds.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The largest cause of personal bankruptcies in the USA is medical bills.
As for supply dates is it all about a manufacturing philosophy called "just in time"
The logic behind it is parts arrive at the assembly line as they are needed thus the factory runs on minimum parts inventory and at any time there is only 1 days worth of unfinished product in the factorythus reducing the amount of money needed to fund the production line .
For the customer it is a big factor in keeping the prices low.
Down side is any disruption to supply of anything means the production line grinds to a halt .
Originally it came out of Japan where they developed it post WWII when they were bankrupted by the war effort and it played a massive part in the rapid rise of their productivity.
However back then many of the companies OWNED the entire supply chain under a system called vertical intergration.
VI is great for the big players because they can supply every one else at a profit while they supply to themselves at cost ( called transfer pricing ) .
By doing this products that are highly seasonal like mowers & motorcycles end up costing the makers substantially less at the dealers door.

However VI in the USA does not do anything for the overly large testicalled executives who get their jollies by "doing the deal" .
So despite the fact that B & S became the biggest engine maker on the planet because they practiced VI, the university graduate executives sold off all of the component making equipment and used the money to buy out all of the competition to do the best they could to become a monopoly supplier which Tecumseh tried to do & failed myserabily because they did not have deep enough pockets & were playing the bottom end of the market .
In board room parliance it is called "OWNING THE MARKET" and right now Stanley B & D is the prime example of this .

Now getting back to mowers
Because almost nothing on a USA made mower is actually made in the USA and all of the factories practice Just In Time assembly , when we have situations like now and world distribution chains are disrupted no one can guarantee the supply of anything.
JD & Toro have obviously done things right .
They are probably using USA made steel for starters are keeping bigger inventories of parts so they can continue to manufacture while every one else is scrambling for parts .

bkeller500

Threads
Nice response bertsmobile and a great explanation. I wonder also now that the secret is out, if suppliers and dealers are seeing an increased profit margin due to the shortages. Discounts are gone and due to lack of inventory, shoppers take what they can get and there is no haggling due to the shortage. Some friends that are in need of a new vehicle tell me that the car dealers are sticking to the window sticker and adding other fees knowing they can get it. They offer extended financing to lower the monthly payments so a lot of buyers go ahead and make the purchase knowing waiting for a better deal could take a lot longer. This is going to take some time to level out. My suppliers that are experiencing import shortages of raw materials are saying 3rd to 4th quarter 2022 at best. On a $6000 or $7000 mower. $500 over the life of the mower is pretty small. The way people shop today....$2,400 is only $20 per month over 10 years. That mentality can get you into some trouble fast. :cool:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I started my working life well before I left school and continues working full time on the shop floors till well after I graduated college .
Then of course it was into the office full of menstrual clots with lots of book smarts and no knowledge of the factory or the products it made or the market they were selling them into.
Every year they were off overseas to try & work out why their factory was not prospering like overseas ones were and between visiting brothels & bars actually looked at some plants.
So every year they came back with some idiot idea that was going to propel their plant into the stratisphere of profitability.
All of them were stupid, cost a fortune to impliment ( if they actually were ) and reduced actual output & usually profits .
The fact that the plants they visited were using brand new high volume equipment & their factory was still running plant that was imported from bombed out factories in the UK or obsolete tooling from the USA to bolster the war effort during WWII seemed to be lost on them .
Then when things could not get any worse , we decided we would become another USA and started to import MBA's prior to making our own management gods .
Companies went "global" chasing cheap profits rather than upgrading their own plant.
The last foundry I worked in bought in a US high precision moulding system to make rolling billet that would require no machining , which was a good idea.
They spent $ 3,000,000 on them but hooked them up to the 1945 water supply that was not temperature controlled nor was capable of supplying enough water so we could only pour one furnace ( out of 9 0 at a time if the new moulds were being used .
Every one was running around looking for the "magic wand" when in reality they needed picks & shovels, but picks & shovels means hard work & understanding what your are doing.

Another foundry decided that internal scrap was not profitable to melt as they had already melted it once so it was "more expensive" than melting cheaper bought in scrap.
This was because the MBA management had "worked out" that they made their profit by the difference in price between the bought in scrap & the sold product
Castings are sold by weight so it made the calcualtions easy.
What they failed to understand was the idea of loss leaders and by doing a full remelt we could turn over a 6 to 10 ton furnace in a single 8 hour shift then bleed in purchased scrap at a rate that would allow at least one pour a day if not one pour a shift and while a furnace of cheap bought in scrap might in theory provide the maximum profit, this evaporated after the second 8 hour shift and in many cases the first pour of the week would take a full 36 hours . Then they would get behind so either do full overtime shifts on the weekend or import product from overseas to make up the shortfal on supply contracts .

deminin

Threads
We drove past a nearby John Deere dealership yesterday, and their lot was nearly empty. Usually they have dozens of tractors of all sizes sitting out front, but there were only about 5 or 6 tractors there....all of them the larger models. It appears that the supply chain and manufacturing shortages are hitting that company, too.

Lawn Addict
Threads
My Toro Dealer has only 2 Zero turns in stock......Can't get any in. They do have a boat load of used mowers in for service & repairs, which should keep them going.

Good time for selling used mowers.

I lucked out snagging my 2021 Scag LZ in May of this year. Only one in stock. And last year for a 48" w/Kawasaki engine.