I hit a tree stump

Tay21

Forum Newbie
Threads
So someone cut down some trees for me. I didnt see the stump since it was so low and covered in leaves but it was tall enough to catch the blade. The mower turned off. The mower would shut off everytime i turned on the blades. Now it turns on but makes a hissing sound and doesnt turn the blades. Im afraid its something big. The mower is a cub cadet z-force s-zero turn

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Take the deck belt off and see if the blades all turn free and not bent.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Remove one blade at a time & see if you can manually rotate the others,if not remove another,etc. You need to try & see if you need blades or a spindle(s) or is deck bent ?

With the hissing sound, did you smell burnt rubber (belt). ?

frenchriverco

Threads
Check the PTO. When you hit something with the blades, that "stopping" force is transferred somewhere. The PTO is what drives the blades and is often found underneath the engine on the crankshaft. A small metal rod holds it from moving when energized. This rod can often shear, so the PTO is then spinning along with the crankshaft. When this happens, the electrical wires that lead from the PTO switch to the PTO are sheared, so no power is getting to the PTO. Thus, the blades won't engage, and the "hissing" noise is actually the wires flapping as the whole PTO assembly is rotating on the crankshaft. You just need to replace the metal rod and re-splice the PTO wiring.