I have a toro timecutter ss5000 with a Kohler Kt735 motor that is acting up and now it wont start.

Snakebstr43

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / I have a toro timecutter ss5000 with a Kohler Kt735 motor that is acting up and now it wont start.
The first problem I had with it was it was alittle hard to start ever since I replaced the choke cable. Then it would start after a few minutes of figuring out where to set the choke. It ran for a while like that then about a week ago I noticed when I was mowing it would shut off after about 20 or 30 minutes of mowing, but I could start it right back up, mow a row or two and stop again. I did research and came to the conclusion the fuel solenoid was bad, but I replaced fuel pump, fuel filter. Before I could get a solenoid installed I cut one last yard and it ended up being a total pain, litterally shut off every row until finally it just wouldn't start.... so I pushed it up on the trailer and that's pretty much where I'm at now..... I finally got a new solenoid installed and it still won't start..... turns over but just won't start. Any ideas? Thanks

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
  • / I have a toro timecutter ss5000 with a Kohler Kt735 motor that is acting up and now it wont start.
So we need to start looking to isolate the problem ( s) .
Easy start is a can of carb cleaner
Remove on plug spray a very small amount down the plug hole put the plug back & crank the engine
It should go bang once
Do the same with the other side
If no bang, do it a couple of times more just to be sure.

If both sides went bang, pull off the air filter and spray some down the carb throat
Should go bang a couple of times.
If so then try again & just before the engine dies give it another short shot,
If you can keep on doing this for 1/2 a minute or more then your problem is in the fuel delivery system and the timing, coils & valves are OK

Get back with the results so we can take it further.

Snakebstr43

Forum Newbie
Threads
So we need to start looking to isolate the problem ( s) .
Easy start is a can of carb cleaner
Remove on plug spray a very small amount down the plug hole put the plug back & crank the engine
It should go bang once
Do the same with the other side
If no bang, do it a couple of times more just to be sure.

If both sides went bang, pull off the air filter and spray some down the carb throat
Should go bang a couple of times.
If so then try again & just before the engine dies give it another short shot,
If you can keep on doing this for 1/2 a minute or more then your problem is in the fuel delivery system and the timing, coils & valves are OK

Get back with the results so we can take it further.
Ok will do... thanks

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Is it me or are there a lot of dirty carbs this season?

slomo

Snakebstr43

Forum Newbie
Threads
Went out and checked..... both spark plugs are sparking, it seems to blow alittle smoke but still doesn't start. What I did notice is when I try and crank it I feel puffs of air coming from the underside where the valve block is. It appears to be also blowing alittle oil our of those spots with every puff of air. Could that be the reason it's not starting... compression loss?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yes

Snakebstr43

Forum Newbie
Threads

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Crank it a few times to build compression. Spray soapy water around spark plug threads. Loosen spark plug watching for bubbles. Should show some bubbles. Not a real accurate test but will show some compression.

slomo

Snakebstr43

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ok I replaced the head gaskets and the mower did start... problem is it runs super rough! Any ideas why?

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Ok I replaced the head gaskets and the mower did start... problem is it runs super rough! Any ideas why?
Were the old head gaskets damaged?

Rough running is a dirty carb or vacuum leaks. Maybe choke is stuck half way open/closed??