I am Looking for a good used lawn tractor mower any advice?

smaerd58

Threads
  • / I am Looking for a good used lawn tractor mower any advice?
I had a Toro Z4200 FOR 10 YEARS & THE DREADED Kohler Courage finally reared it's ugly head and blew apart. I sold it off for parts & now am looking for a good used Riding Mower again. Not Zero turn because that tended to destroy my lawn with turning & turfing & I pulled attachments. Yes... faster but didn't look the greatest. So I am open to what you guys think I should look for as for good decks & over all reliability for a 1/2 acre cut. I know MTD used to build basically all of them except for a few. Thanks, Rick

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
I had a Toro Z4200 FOR 10 YEARS & THE DREADED Kohler Courage finally reared it's ugly head and blew apart. I sold it off for parts & now am looking for a good used Riding Mower again. Not Zero turn because that tended to destroy my lawn with turning & turfing & I pulled attachments. Yes... faster but didn't look the greatest. So I am open to what you guys think I should look for as for good decks & over all reliability for a 1/2 acre cut. I know MTD used to build basically all of them except for a few. Thanks, Rick
What, you don't like the Sherman tank ruts from a 0-turn LOL. I don't either. 0-turns weigh like 1,000 pounds plus some fat slob like ME on it LOL.

Hands down, I would source an older Snapper 33" rear engine rider. Most durable simplistic drive system known to man. No hydro mess to ever fail on you. No hydro noise to listen to. Best deck slash mower design STILL out on the market. Spend around $500 on a clean used one. Only time mine breaks down is on yearly oil changes.

Check this out. I have a 48" tow behind core aerator. I put 8 concrete cinder blocks on it at around 40lbs each. My fat arse at 285lbs plus my 113lb wife sitting on top of the blocks. Simple math there is 718lbs. Finally my soil is hard packed Oklahoma clay. I have to get the moisture "just" right to get any cores at all. And imagine the mower load placed on my Snapper. Imagine turning that load around for another lap. The stress on the drive system and engine slash entire mower. Don't forget the slight uphill grade in my front yard. Now research the drive system I am talking about. You will fall into the floor laughing on how that design can do this.

7800951_12382_feature1.jpg

slomo

smaerd58

Threads
Appreciate the reply & the humor. I weigh 235lbs 6'-2" so completely understand. I will keep my eye out no doubt. I just had a kid do my yard with a Toro Commercial ZT He flew so fast almost hit my PVC cleanout for my waste return. Had to slow him down & of course more ZT ruts. Thanks,Rick

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Appreciate the reply & the humor. I weigh 235lbs 6'-2" so completely understand. I will keep my eye out no doubt. I just had a kid do my yard with a Toro Commercial ZT He flew so fast almost hit my PVC cleanout for my waste return. Had to slow him down & of course more ZT ruts. Thanks,Rick
You can tell, driving around the neighborhood, what the yard was mowed with. 1k+ pound 0-turn or a push mower. Yard crews mow it the SAME way EVERY time. LOL

slomo

smaerd58

Threads
Absolutely!!! Unfortunately with a search on market here in Delaware No Snappers. Tons of Yellow Greens & Craftsman Tractors & ZT. I also notices everyone wants the bigger deck mowers even for 1/2 acre yards. I used my neighbors Craftsman Tractor 48" inch cut & that thing beat my discs in my back & neck to death plus a bear to turn & cut around trees. I have bad spine issues & am permanently disabled so that is a no go for me. Rick

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Look at used Simplicity Lawn Tractors with low hours on meter. Less than 250 hours on meter is what I would be looking for.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
That is a steal, you may have to put some money into lawn tractor for OEM belts, idler pulleys, etc. Post model number from sticker example: 2690814 That is what my younger son & I do in spare time, purchase low & fix them up with OEM parts & make a dollar or two. Looks good smaerd58, your getting your self a nice mower . Let us know if you purchase lawn tractor & post Model Number & I'll send you information on your tractor.

smaerd58

Threads
That is a steal, you may have to put some money into lawn tractor for OEM belts, idler pulleys, etc. Post model number from sticker example: 2690814 That is what my younger son & I do in spare time, purchase low & fix them up with OEM parts & make a dollar or two. Looks good smaerd58, your getting your self a nice mower . Let us know if you purchase lawn tractor & post Model Number & I'll send you information on your tractor.
Is Simplicity a MTD Product where other parts work for it? I just sold a Simplicity Tiller as a coincidence. LOL

Born2Mow

Threads
Not Zero turn because that tended to destroy my lawn with turning & turfing...
News Flash: Zero turn mowers don't rut things by themselves. They need a little help from the driver.