I am fed up with my Stihl Blower

Jetfan2207

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 6 year old Stihl BR350. Thing ran flawlessly until last spring. It started to stall out randomly like it was out of gas. Sometimes it would burn the whole tank of gas without issue, sometimes it would stall out after 5 mins and anywhere in between. I thought maybe I got a bad batch of gas but it does it even with new gas and I run super with Stabil 360 and my trimmer and chainsaw take the same gas and run fine.

I am reading that the exhaust and spark screen might be clogged but those articles and videos link that to difficulty starting. My blower starts right up every time.

Any idea what it could be?

Thank you very much, any help would be greatly appreciated.

OldDiyer

Threads
Could just be the fuel filter if it has one. All my small engines have them in the tank mounted on the main fuel line. Just a thought before you go nuts chasing the problem. Good Luck I've been down this road a few times and sometimes its the easiest thing that causes a problem.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
The fuel filter and the spark plug are easy starting points. From there it could be a fuel line issue, carb issue, compression issue, or even ignition module issue.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
With a 6 year old unit I would be changing the fuel lines and filter. Cheapest possible remedy and a good place to start.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
The fuel filter and the spark plug are easy starting points. From there it could be a fuel line issue, carb issue, compression issue, or even ignition module issue.

It's a pain in the butt when an ignition module starts going out, if it doesn't just stop working completely.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
@PTmowerMech I have been seeing a lot of faulty modules the past few years, and most of them never loose fire. they will act like they are running out of gas, or will start on the first pull and idle, but will die on acceleration. First that I came across would run about 20 minutes and would start bogging down until it died. If you release the trigger is would idle, and if you pulled the trigger it would start bogging down again, but would immediately idle if the trigger was released.

Ranchito

Threads
Had a similar problem on 2 pieces of equipment and found the fuel tank was not venting properly. Try leaving the fuel cap cracked and if the problem is gone, look at those fuel lines and the vent device.

RayMcD

Threads
make sure your muffler is not clogged, swap the plug and check to make sure the plug wire makes good connection, could be tarnished/corroided.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
@PTmowerMech I have been seeing a lot of faulty modules the past few years, and most of them never loose fire. they will act like they are running out of gas, or will start on the first pull and idle, but will die on acceleration. First that I came across would run about 20 minutes and would start bogging down until it died. If you release the trigger is would idle, and if you pulled the trigger it would start bogging down again, but would immediately idle if the trigger was released.

Why would it die just from releasing the trigger? Coincidence that the module skipped at the same time you released the throttle?
I think I understand. It would have something to do with RPM's changing, and the chip inside the module, maybe?

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Why would it die just from releasing the trigger? Coincidence that the module skipped at the same time you released the throttle?
I think I understand. It would have something to do with RPM's changing, and the chip inside the module, maybe?
It is due to either the spark advance or rev limiting feature and the timing of the spark. Basically could cause firing at the wrong time,