Hydrostatic transaxle fluid change

1mk2

Threads
Realize this is probably a stupid question but this is my first time changing my hydro fluid. My manual calls for 1 quart per reservoir and I have drained one reservoir and and filled it with one quart and it didn't even come up to the sight glass. Does it take more then 1 quart or when it is warm does it rise? Like I said probably a stupid question but puzzled since the manual says 1 quart.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Probably not counting the transaxle or wheel motor amounts. Just guessing as no model number posted so I could it up. I got engine manuals that state an oil amount and sometimes they don't the amount for the oil filter.

1mk2

Threads
Probably not counting the transaxle or wheel motor amounts. Just guessing as no model number posted so I could it up. I got engine manuals that state an oil amount and sometimes they don't the amount for the oil filter.
I have a model 612

1mk2

Threads
I changed the hydrolic fluid but did not change filters, etc. just the fluid and it takes more then 1 quart per side as the manual states. I bought 3 quarts and used about a quarter of the 3 quart to get both sides up to the level necessary. If I would have changed filters it probably would have taken more.

arto_wa

Forum Newbie
Threads
Filters are cheap, hydro drive repairs are expensive!

Kevina

Forum Newbie
Threads
Agree on the filter assessment. If you are changing or to a point where you need to top off the fluid, it is always a good idea to change the filter(s). Older fluid performs best when clean and keeping it clean can only be achieved by efficient filtration. For what it's worth. Additional thing I would add, if you can afford to operate a Grasshopper or any other high dollar Zero Turn, cost of filters should not be a concern. Kinda like a Harley Davidson owner complaining about the cost of oil changes. The poster above who said his GH dealer charges $ 18.00 per quart; that's cheap as I saw it for $ 96.00 per gallon just two days ago. The best part to me is GH doesn't even put any specs on their bottles.

Last edited: