Hydrostatic Drive Issue

BillQ

Forum Newbie
Threads
Good afternoon!!
New Member here and I need HELP!
Hustler Raptor SD with the KT740 Kohler engine. 54" cut. 158 Total Hours on machine.

ISSUE:
I pulled one filter (Right side) of the hydrostatic drive so I could get a Part Number.
Got the number, cleaned the gasket and reinstalled.

Now it wont move.
any ideas??

Rocky J

Threads
pull the rods out like you are going to push it across the garage,lift the back wheels off the ground , start the engine and push your handles forward full speed for a minute then backwards full speed for a minute , then engage the two rods and repeat your handle exercise , this should purge the air out of the system.put it on the ground and test. let us know if it did.

BillQ

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'll check it out first thing in the morning! Thank you Sir!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
When purging the air out of the system, you should do it at the slowest speed the mower will run at.
Purging at high speed froths the oil so you think it is all out then when it cools down you are back to square one.
Once the wheel is turning strong enough that you can not hold it still , or the mower will drive , take it out & mow.
Once there is enough oil in the system to move it will self purge in use .
Some times you might need to purge a system multiple times times. .

BillQ

Forum Newbie
Threads
Good afternoon.
Well. Since I didnt want to go through this twice, i went ahead and replaced both filters. Tried my best to fill them with oil before installation but thats fruitless since they mount Horizontally instead of vertically.
Anyway, I've followed your recommendations and its not purging.
Is there a Bleeder valve somewhere?
Im concerned about running the pump without good fluid in it. Dont want to replace the pump!!
Frankly, I cant afford to!!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Some just take longer to purge than others.
Some I have just left sit for a week
Others with an overflow I put my oil pump on the overflow and suck the air out while I work the pedal.
some k46's required a plug fit in the top up hole to take the vacuum pump as well
Others purged in 30 seconds.