Hydrostatic Controls? Mower will not move.

Problemchild

Forum Newbie
Threads
Long story, I will do my best to shorten.
I gave up on the big one cylinder Kohler engine that came in my 2006 Poulan Harqvarna riding mower and put in a nice-running older 13.5 Briggs. I rearranged some wires to get it to charge, but never got the lights to work. Fast forward a season and the operator, having never checked the oil, threw a rod in the middle of mowing. So I now installed a used late model 19HP Briggs 33R877. I was surprised when I just plugged into the 6-way plug and it starts and runs. It is even charging.

But ..... it will not move. Forward or backward. Just as if I have the freewheeling rod pulled out. (I don't).
It has a Hydra-Gear hydrostatic transaxle 400506 356-0510 that has always worked with no issue. The engine came from a Craftsman without a hydrostatic transaxle.

I expected to have some electrical control conflict, but the only transaxle sensor/switch that I can find is on the linkage (perhaps reverse sensor) but it has power to it when the key is on run, and has a good ground. I am confused.

I do not understand why the transaxle stopped working or broke when the engine blew up.
Do I actually have an electrical problem?
Has my freewheeling linkage broken while engaged?
Do I have a transaxle problem? I did not before.

The lights still do not work ..... if that means anything.
Please help.

Thanks,
Greg

Problemchild

Forum Newbie
Threads
Update; I did try and purge the transaxle, without success. There is no indication that the transaxle is engaging, trying to engage, or communicating with the rest of the mower ...... in any fashion.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Key has fallen out of the drive pulley .
Spline / key on the tranny is split or missing
Key missing from one wheel
Belt off the pulley & is sitting between fan & pulley

Pull the deck off.
Get under the mower
With the brake released you should be able to turn the engine over buy pulling on thebelt.
If not it is too loose .

Problemchild

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks Bert!

I had exhausted all my previous tangents and you pushed me back to basics. I had never even installed the deck. The new engine had the same diameter pulley but for a wider belt. Changed the pulley and works fine. I would have figured it out, but your guidance steered me there sooner. Thanks

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
We keep on telling people that mower repair is not rocket science and there are very few deep secrets, it is all common sense and methodical checking .
Glad to hear you have it sorted .