Hydro Static Transmission repair $10

Agent914

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have an older Husqvarna YTH18542 18.5 and the internal shaft keeper started to wear out The tractor was dependable and easy to repair and maintain and perfect for my 2+ acres lawn, but the Drive shaft started to come out of transmission. Causing a loss drive and stopping power. Internal keeper wore out.
I am a descent garage mechanic, but the hydrostatic transmission scared me after doing an on-line search and the price of a replacement was $600+ so it meant I would be buying newer tractor. So I measured the drive shaft diameter and bought a split collar for $10 in Amazon.

See attached fabricated an L bracket and and bought a Split Collar for $10 and it worked for me saving $400 - 600 transmission repair and or buying a new tractor $2000

Attachments

• Husqvarna YTH18542 transmission repair.pdf
    902.4 KB · Views: 14
  • L Bracket + Split Collar.jpg
    L Bracket + Split Collar.jpg
    358.3 KB · Views: 22
  • shaft collar.jpg
    shaft collar.jpg
    405 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
Looks like a good practical work around for that deal. Hope that keeper inside stays in place though.

Mower King

Threads
"Necessity is the mother of invention"

I can't claim this quote but......I do really like it!

Agent914

Forum Newbie
Threads
My yard in somewhat hilly with inclines and when this started to pull out ... I could not make left hand turns ..... I used as thick as a steel plate as possible (0.062). Used a vise to make 90' bend then put in then I cut the slot for the shaft I tried to make it deep enough so the ears hung low enough so as not to get hung up on split collar mating line. I then scratched in hole locations 1 by 1 so the fit is tight! It took 1-2 hours to cut and fit, so far so good a solid 4 hours with no issues.

This simple repair gave a good tractor new life and I wanted to share.

I suspect it may wear out some day but I can always make another "L" bracket from scrap metal that I have hanging around.

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
A drop of oil now and then and the fix would probably last forever. Have to remember that one.