Hydro pump gets weak when hot

1stfxst

Forum Newbie
Threads
I've got a 2006 Silver Eagle 2550 and after mowing about 30 min. the right side pump starts to loose power. The fluids and filters are new belts are also new. Service was done at the DC dealer. I had a John Deere hydro that would do this and the pump was worn, Is this a common problem and can I get a kit to rebuild the pump? The Dealer is not really a viable option as they messed this one up once before. They had replaced a coil for running problem for the previous owner but could not get the coil to fire. after 6mo. of trying all kinds of new parts. the owner pulled the mower from them and sold it to me for 500.00. then bought a different make of mower. The dealer installed the coil upside down causing it to ground out, took 30 min. to figure out. Previous owner said there was never a problem with the pumps before this. I'm a mechanic with 35 years exp. so rebuilding the pump is not a problem if I can get parts. Thanks

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
One on ebay for $699.99 KPL-10AR 168P3129021

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The pump is a Hydro part, not a DC part
So look up the hydro maker and order the drop in rebuild kit.
These things are assembled on a dust free closed workshop .
So I usually blow with an air dusted, degrease, pressure wash soda blast then pressure wash again before opening them up
When you pull it apart as an experienced mechanic you will immediately understand why they loose power when hot .
For the internals it is a drain, solvent wash ( Kero ) till the kero comes out clean then a flush with whatever oil I am going to use, pop the unit in then fill & purge the air.
NB purging must be done slowly
Best done with a low speed drill on the input spindle.
I have found Mulligans to be the best people for both parts & advice

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Wow, sure makes belt drive machines a lot more attractive.

slomo

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yep,
New drive cone for a Cox $ 145
Fitting fee $120
Operating life 1500 to 4000 hours

New drive plates for a Greenfields $ 45
Fitting fee $ 180
Operation life 2000 + hours

Both use plain pollyester unwrapped belts $ 25 to $ 45