Hydro Oil Question

bobojay

Forum Newbie
Threads
I know GH recommends their hydro oil "only". Has anyone used say 5w-30 synthetic motor oil for an extended period? Or should I stay with GH's $$$$ oil?
If so, where is cheapest place to buy the GH oil? My local dealer wants $18.+ per quart.....

Jinzo Ningen

Threads
The MOBIL DTE 10 Excel 100 transmission fluid and the GH brand are both expensive.

Are there any other brands that are compatible? I tried Google to find a cross reference chart for the stuff but so far... nothing. If anyone has alternates I'd love to know. I have a local Tractor Supply less than 5mi away whereas the nearest GH dealer is almost an hour from me. Extra travel time and gas for round trip would make the tranny fluid even more outrageous. Other options would be a godsend.

TIA

Jinzo Ningen

Threads
Not replacing, adding to. Yesterday, in preparation for rolling my lawn, I checked the tranny fluid and the level is at the bottom of the two lines on the dipstick so it needs topping off. I did some further research on the Net last night and found the following...

Mobil DTE18M is compatible with Mobil DTE26

and...
AW68
Esso Nuto H68

According to the Grainger online catalog, WP143462 Premium Hydraulic Oil, 20 - Grainger Industrial Supply
DTE26 oil (available in 1 & 5 gallon sizes) is...
Hydraulic Oil (Premium) Heavy Medium
ISO viscosity: 68
SAE Grade: 20w
Viscosity Index: 98

(DTE24 is 10w, ISO viscosity 32; DTE25 is 15w, ISO viscosity 46)

FYI...

bobojay

Forum Newbie
Threads
Why are you replacing this oil?

Same as above. Not replacing, adding. I've had a very small leak in the system for years. VERY small. Now it's finally gotten to the add mark on the dipstick, (after owning this unit for 14 years w/500 hrs. I know, not many hours)

I know there's a couple other major mower brands that use Amsoil synthetic motor oil in their drive units. Not that I would use "motor oil" in the GH

thehemikid

Threads
About a yr & half ago, around here the dealer wanted $90-95 gal. iirc. I said ...""Uh...NO, ...that's crazy, I'll see if I can find a substitute".

That would be $180-190 fluid change!!! ...besides the motor oil & coolant. I know these mowers ain't cheap, & wiw to keep from having bigger, co$tlier repairs like a trans swap.

So, the MOBIL DTE 10 Excel 100 comes out to $5.28 per qt for me buying it by the 5 gal. bucket. I think I may have ~ 130 hrs on that last trans fluid change.

Me having a large yard, lot of trees & bushes, it takes a few hrs per mow. If I had a small yard & a small leak I'd be looking for some 1qt substitute too. :2cents:

Last edited:

bobojay

Forum Newbie
Threads
I think I've decided to use this:

http://www.amsoil.com/lit/databulletins/g28.pdf

I get it for about $7.80 per qt.

I may have to fix that leak I mentioned as it's getting worse as time goes by. The fluid reservoir tank has a tiny crack in it. It's really messing up the rear lower area of the mower with residue

ROB57

Forum Newbie
Threads
Could you just use a ISO68? My local Farm&Fleet has there brand for about $18 for 2 gallons. Thanks

Jinzo Ningen

Threads
ISO68... that's what I ended up using. Added many months ago and so far zero problems. If I had a brand new machine I might opt for the best of everything, but for a mower that's almost 20 years old I'm not going to spring for top dollar brands when my 721D gets along just fine with low cost alternatives.

ROB57

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks, that what I was thinking too.