Hydro oil dipstick question

satman858

Threads
I know this may seem like a elementary school question, but I have never seen a dipstick have a screw in cap of 10 threads in length, so with that I ask you should I take the reading without screwing the cap in at all?

When taking a reading for my 2 thread screw in cap for my motor oil, I have always just taken the the reading without screwing the cap in at all, but with a 10 thread dipstick it would make a big difference in the reading.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
The best way is to consult the owners manual for instruction on how to check the hydro oil

satman858

Threads
The best way is to consult the owners manual for instruction on how to check the hydro oil

It does not address the issue of my question anywhere. That is why I asked that question here.

Check Hydraulic Fluid Level
1. Start the unit and run it to operating temperature (about 10 minutes).

2. Cycle the control levers forward and backward two or three times.

3. For units equipped with a hydraulic deck lift, raise and lower the deck completely two or three times.

4. Shut OFF engine. Engage parking brake. Remove the ignition key.

5. Put seat in service position. See Service Position on page 14.

6. Remove any dirt that may be around the cap/dipstick on the hydraulic reservoir.

7. Remove cap/dipstick.

8. Check hydraulic oil level mark on cap/dipstick.

9. Add 15W50 synthetic oil as needed. Do not overfill

Last edited:

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
How about supplying the model number of your lawnmower so we can see what we can find.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
They are very vague when it comes to how to check the level. Being a recovery tank the level isn't going to be that critical if it varies even an inch or so. All the tank does is recover the oil lost during normal operation of the pump where it is available to be filtered and then put back into the system. In normal operations less than about 10% of the total volume pumped gets sent back to the tank.