hydro-gear rebuild

gregjo1948

Threads
Working on a Hydro-Gear transaxle---ZJ-KMFE-3B5C-1PLX. Is there a rebuild kit for it? Where could I get a new one? thanks, gregjo1948

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
There will not be just an all in one kit. There are multiple kits used in the ZT-3100 series. Hydro Gear would need to be contacted for ab IPL for the above transaxle to see what various kit part number are. Kits are for example: a seal kit, center section kit, a charge kit, etc

1647720388488.png

Last edited:

gregjo1948

Threads
Got the transaxle back together and mounted on the Ferris. It doesn't turn the wheel. Everything looked fine inside and I think the only problem was an oil leak which I fixed with the seal kit that I installed. Any ideas why the wheel isn't turning, would be appreciated. I found online that it uses 20W50 oil which I installed. Seems like heavy oil for hydro. Is it supposed to be blead somehow? thanks, gregjo1948

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
does the transmission have a differential? If so you may need to block one wheel to get the other to drive. A differential transfers power to the wheel that spins the most free unless it is a limited slip. I've seen mechanics forget that, put a car on a lift and wonder why the wheels slowly turn in opposite directions etc..

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
does the transmission have a differential? If so you may need to block one wheel to get the other to drive. A differential transfers power to the wheel that spins the most free unless it is a limited slip. I've seen mechanics forget that, put a car on a lift and wonder why the wheels slowly turn in opposite directions etc..
No. Most ZTRs uses separate transaxles.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Got the transaxle back together and mounted on the Ferris. It doesn't turn the wheel. Everything looked fine inside and I think the only problem was an oil leak which I fixed with the seal kit that I installed. Any ideas why the wheel isn't turning, would be appreciated. I found online that it uses 20W50 oil which I installed. Seems like heavy oil for hydro. Is it supposed to be blead somehow? thanks, gregjo1948
Yes with the wheel(s) off the ground work the lap bar(s) back and forth to purge the air from the system.

gregjo1948

Threads
This transaxle is on a 61" Ferris FW35 walk behind. It has a single motion bar to move forward and a squeeze handle on each side of the handlebar to move rearward and to steer right or left. With the wheels off the ground, engine running, I've operated the motion control devices many times and the wheel does nothing. There is a rod/bar for each transaxle that are used to lock the hydros out so the mower can be moved (pushed/pulled) without harming the hydros. With the engine running, I move the rod/bar, for the transaxle that's not working, back and forth (in/out drive) and the wheel does move about one revolution but stops until I move the rod again.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Something is not right but with my limited experience with hydros I don't what it is without seeing the unit in person so I can go though it myself. Sorry I am of no help here now.