Hydro-Gear 2800 thru 3100 oil

Lawn Addict
Threads
So speaking directly to a tech @ Hydro-Gear, he said the oil they use is 20w-50 Mobil 1 with their H-G label.
Shocked he would tell me this. So It "seems" that their service kits have Full synthetic Mobil 1 in them.

I'm getting my supplies ready for when I hit min of 50 hours on my Liberty....

And because my Hydros have the letter "T" in next to last digit in Model # confirms mine are internal expansion units..(thus no external oil reserviors.

Am twisted as to use Amsoil 20w-50, or the Mobil 1 Full-Syn 20w-50

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Any 20W 50 fully sync will do
5W50 or 10W 50 if you push snow around

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
These online support techs are just reading off cue cards. It would be nice if they had actual experienced techs online but from my experience most don't.

I use SAE15W50 Syn over SAE20W50 Dino oil here in all hydrostatic oil change except when SAE10W40 is spec'd. So no you are not twisted to better oils. Now thicker oils do help on older units with lots of wear but once there unit start giving problems the only real way to fix them is to replace the internal pumps and center section. This is because most of us don't a machine shop that do the rebuilds with newly machined parts and shims.

These techs can't even tell you if the oil leak tracer dye are usable in these units which it is.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
These online support techs are just reading off cue cards. It would be nice if they had actual experienced techs online but from my experience most don't.

I use SAE15W50 Syn over SAE20W50 Dino oil here in all hydrostatic oil change except when SAE10W40 is spec'd. So no you are not twisted to better oils. Now thicker oils do help on older units with lots of wear but once there unit start giving problems the only real way to fix them is to replace the internal pumps and center section. This is because most of us don't a machine shop that do the rebuilds with newly machined parts and shims.

These techs can't even tell you if the oil leak tracer dye are usable in these units which it is.
Correct in most cases. In the case of the Hydrogear techs, those techs are the same techs that teach the dealer classes at the factory.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Correct in most cases. In the case of the Hydrogear techs, those techs are the same techs that teach the dealer classes at the factory.
That would explain the dumbness...As all the classes I attended over the years at OEM schools the teachers always seem like they had no actual field experience.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Well as I stated, I was speaking live to a Tech on the phone.. My Unit only has 32 hours on it. Just getting things lined up for end of this mow season or min of 50 hours to service my 2800 Hydros early.

Thanks all.

Last edited: