Hydraulic Trans problem

upupandaway

Threads
I have a Sabre(JD) but the problem is more a Tuff Torq problem.
The mower has the k51a trans. It moves kinda slow so i figured to change the fluid.

The fill plug is just under the battery so to avoid removing the trans each time to change the fluid, I cut a hole to reach the fill.
From watching several videos, i see nothing major would fall out if i drop the pan this time (and tap the drain plugs while at it.)

As i dropped the pan the only part that dropped with it was the filter and a "clip" from the drivers side shaft.
I applied some gasket to hold the clip as i reinstalled the pan(with filter) after cleaning.

I added fluid to top it off. I had it on jack stands, i started it up, released the brake, and ran it moving the full range from fwd to reverse with no response - no funny\grinding noises. I tripple checked the fluid is full.

Manually turning the wheel, i can feel the resistance as the 3 gears inside sounding like they are spinning when i manually turn the two wheels. I tried tilting the mower in a few directions if there was an air pocket with no go.

For the first time getting a hydraulic trans vs manual(given my 'newest' rider mower before this is from the 80s) I stand befuddled.

What am i missing???

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
Maybe bumped the release lever on the rear panel a bit and need to push back in fully?

upupandaway

Threads
I did notice when on the ground, in gear or not in gear(to push around). I can push it around as if it is in neutral all the time.
"Release lever"?? Which part are you referring to??
Thanks.

Attachments

• trans.jpg
    trans.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 8

upupandaway

Threads
Well, this was fun...
I was about to open it up to find what was wrong when i removed the plug from the hydraulic side to drain it and nothing came out. I know i poured ~2 quarts in...
I stuck a drill bit in about 2 inches from underneath thinking there was a clog but nothing came out so i thought is there plug where the oil would overflow from the gear side to the hydraulic side?

Well after dropping the trans and popping open the plug there was a puddle of oil but i thought to remove the magnet\filter and low and behold the puddle of oil instantly disappeared. the filter material did not let any oil flow past it!!! I filled it up and punched a hole in the filter material\magnet for future, and manually turned the input shaft and viola!!, it works...

GRRR!!!!!!