Hydraulic oil question

n2qlt

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello, I am new here. I have a Dixie Chopper that I've been running for about 25 years. Last fall, a pump line cracked and blew out. Lots of oil. I replaced all of the lines and re-filled the system with diesel engine oil. It took a lot of oil. In fact, I ran out and wound up adding a couple of quarts of 5w 40 I think. That is all I had on hand. It was the last day of weather for chopping leaves here, and I was running out of daylight. It worked fine. So my question is, do I need to drain the system and fill with the recommended oil? Or is it not critical to this pump? Thanks for any suggestions.

Born2Mow

Threads
Welcome !

Are you looking for someone on the interwebs, whom you never met and don't know, to give you permission to run non-approved lubricant and hope that everything works out great ?? That sounds like a recipe for disaster.

Sorry. I will not be that person.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yup, download the manual or call Dixie. Get the proper fluid. If it was 15w-40, that's awful thick for hydro fluid.

slomo

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Yup, download the manual or call Dixie. Get the proper fluid. If it was 15w-40, that's awful thick for hydro fluid.

slomo
Where have you been. Hydro Gear uses 20W50 conventional motor oil in their hydrostatics and Tuff Torq uses 15W-50 Synthetic in their hydrostatics. Even Hustler Super Z uses 10w40 in their hydrostatic system.

Dixie Chopper uses high-grade 10W50, 15W40, 15W50, or 20W50 per the owners manual.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Where have you been. Hydro Gear uses 20W50 conventional motor oil in their hydrostatics and Tuff Torq uses 15W-50 Synthetic in their hydrostatics. Even Hustler Super Z uses 10w40 in their hydrostatic system.

Dixie Chopper uses high-grade 10W50, 15W40, 15W50, or 20W50 per the owners manual.
I hear ya' ST LOL. That's why I stated to call Dixie and check his manual. Wanted to place doubt in his mind so he would CONFIRM proper fluid. Which leads to a little faulty info on my part, my bad. I stepped in what you are smellin' StarTech. (y)

slomo

n2qlt

Forum Newbie
Threads
Okay, thanks. It runs 15W40. So I get the impression that I should probably drain and replace all of it, since I topped it up with some 5W40 in a pinch.

cruzenmike

Threads
When I replaced the fluid in my TT K51 I was able to locate Mobil 1 Synthetic 15W-50 at a NAPA auto parts store. This was the only place that I could find it within 50 miles of where I live. The fluid worked fine but in my research I found many other fluids that would work including: Tuff Tech fluid, Deere Hy-gard, Exmark Hydro Oil and Amsoil Synthetic Hydrostatic Transmission Fluid.

I am no oil expert but I can guess that the "chemistry" of some of these fluids that I have mentioned are favorable for use in hydrostatic drives as compared to regular motor oils (ie high zinc, low detergent/detergent free, etc.)

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
When I replaced the fluid in my TT K51 I was able to locate Mobil 1 Synthetic 15W-50 at a NAPA auto parts store. This was the only place that I could find it within 50 miles of where I live. The fluid worked fine but in my research I found many other fluids that would work including: Tuff Tech fluid, Deere Hy-gard, Exmark Hydro Oil and Amsoil Synthetic Hydrostatic Transmission Fluid.

I am no oil expert but I can guess that the "chemistry" of some of these fluids that I have mentioned are favorable for use in hydrostatic drives as compared to regular motor oils (ie high zinc, low detergent/detergent free, etc.)
I would agree. An oil formulated for a specific purpose would be better than vanilla motor oil. I would use the proper grade/weight hydro fluid.

slomo

Richard Martin

Forum Newbie
Threads
Dixie has changed the recommended oil so many times that I'm convinced that any decent oil will work. First I think they called for 15w40, then they called for their own VTC proprietary oil, and finally Lucas 15w40 diesel oil. I'm currently using NAPA 15w40 diesel oil

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
D/C uses Lucas 15w40 in their units with pumps and wheel motors. It is a very slick oil high in zinc. They came out with their own Speed Eagle oil a few years ago which was Lucas branded Speed Eagle oil. I have seen people use other oils but in some applications the steering levers do not work as freely so that is what I would use.