Hydraulic Oil and Filter Change Overkill?

cile01

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 2016 Liberty Z that is serviced yearly. The hydraulic oil and filters have been changed every year by the dealer. The intervals are 67hr, 116hr, 170hr, and 210hr. This year I should be around 240hr. The manual states every 400hr or yearly. That seems like a large variation in hours since I only use for residential cutting. Is yearly still advisable, even though I'm well under a hundred hours a year. I would be comfortable with every other year. Opinions please. Thanks!

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hydro-Gear recommends that the hydraulic oil and filters be changed every 400 hours.
Some mower manufacturers say every 200 hours.
Every 200 hours is reasonable.
Engine oil and filters should be changed once a year or every 100 hours.
Overkill? Only you can decide on that.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
I think you would be fine with every other year. Hydro system are a relatively sealed system and doesn't have the environment like engine oil would. And in general how a hydro system works only a small portion of the total flow through the system is being reclaimed and filtered.

RJFCO

Forum Newbie
Threads
I think you are being taken advantage of by your dealer. Ask him why!

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
I see them that never get changed and have no issues. What about the ones that have no way to change except siphon it out or take the hydro out and dump it from the vent port. I think that is over kill. Every other year should be fine.

bkeller500

Threads
It's a $90 kit and probably can be done at home depending on your skill level and available tools. You may need a floor jack and a drain pan and some rags and there are a few YouTube videos that you can watch and determine if you want to tackle it at home. As far as when......it may be safe to do it at 100 or even 200 hours depending on how dirty the fluid becomes. MY owners manual calls for 100 hours for the first change then every 400 hours after. I can do this at home so I plan to do the 100, then every 200. $90 is cheap compare to a rebuild or replacement hydro. I would ask you dealer why he is recommending a yearly flush. He is probably just trying to protect you and your unit since it has to be transported to and from his service center. But ask him for his insight and go from there.

350Rocket

Threads
Seems like the most common major failure. Not requiring any changes is a farce, so it should be up to you what you think is overkill.

Lawn Addict
Threads
My 2021 Liberty Z book states 100 hours for 1st hydro service. But I plan to do them at 50 hours, to get off to a good start imo.

But I'm certainly not doing them each year. And I will do mine here at my place.