Hustler Superduty 2012 54" Noisy Transaxle RHS

My_Hustler

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi guys,

I have a Hustler Superduty Fastrak 54" 2012 model. Everything was fine up until I reached about 250 hours of which was about 40% pulling a small trailer with yard rubbish and 60% cutting 5 acre residential property. Very loud metallic rumbling noise which as that time I thought may have been the entire Hydro unit, however replaced the Fan Pulley Kit Part Number 601941 (or for some reason here in Australia the dealer part number is HG72124) and everything seemed fine.

- Then at 307 Hours I replaced the Fan Pulley again, didn't think much of it at the time.
- Then at 335 Hours, again, same noise. thought I had stuffed up the torque setting of the nut on the fan unit on the previous replacement, so purchased another Fan Pulley Kit and pulled out the Torque wench and set it to service manual setting along with Locktight and reinstalled and then all good again ...until now.
- At 379 hours, same noise, same Right Hand side (only ever the right hand side, never the Left hand side transaxle).
There is either a defect with what Hustler is providing as part of the Fan Pulley Kit or maybe Transaxle spline is somehow causing an ongoing damage to the Right Hand side Fan Pulley. I have checked the Transaxle spline and from reviewing the photo's it looks seemingly fine.

Any ideas anyone ?

Attachments

• FanPulley Kit compressed.JPG
    FanPulley Kit compressed.JPG
    56.7 KB · Views: 8
  • Fan burned out compressed.JPG
    Fan burned out compressed.JPG
    28.1 KB · Views: 9
  • Pulley compressed.JPG
    Pulley compressed.JPG
    30 KB · Views: 8
  • Splineconnector compressed.JPG
    Splineconnector compressed.JPG
    44.1 KB · Views: 6

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Hustler changed their parts lookup so we need the model number off the serial number tag.

Exactly what is the problem? fan loose? fan hitting something?

For the part number it is probably because the transaxle is a Hydro Gear transaxle.

My_Hustler

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hustler changed their parts lookup so we need the model number off the serial number tag.

Exactly what is the problem? fan loose? fan hitting something?

For the part number it is probably because the transaxle is a Hydro Gear transaxle.
Hi,

The exact problem is that when the mower is running, blades do not need to be engaged, just the engine running, therefore the drive belt is spinning and turning both Transaxles and idlers pulleys, there is a loud metallic rumbling noise coming from the Right Hand side transaxle. Without Ear plugs and Ear muffs on, the sound is so loud it is deafening, it is obvious that there is serious damage being caused by something. The damage In this case being the Transaxle Fan is slowly melting, the metal pulley is wearing out the claw shape which wraps over the metal piece that slips on the Transaxle spline and the metal piece which slips on the Transaxle spline some how is also wearing out ever so slightly. Luckily I don't think the Transaxle spline is damaged, well not looking at it with the naked eye anyway.

The model number is #930149EX, hope that helps.
Yes the Hydro Gear is a model ZT3100

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Have you check the input shaft bearing? it is a 17x40x12 Open 6203 and it might be going bad. Also have you checked the oil level? As the overflow line may be plugged not allow replacement fluid to re-enter the unit.

Just a couple thoughts...As haven't one to melt down a fan other the Raptor 42" and is just general overheating where the fan starts hitting the frame.