Hustler raptor sd 54 (Koheler engine) problems

leondraw

Forum Newbie
Threads
As I am about to start my spring prep work on my mower I am seeking advice on two problems I endured last year and hope to fix before this mowing season:
1) One of the front tires will not stay inflated. Is it okay to "slime" it or should I just take it to the tire repair shop?
2) Every spring for the first 3-4 times I mow, the grass clumps up under the deck and I have to stop every so often (to the point it is annoying) to get down on the ground and pull all of the clumped up grass from underneath the deck. The lawn is NOT wet. Anyway to correct this?

thanks everyone.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Slime can be hit and miss and doesn't work well on bead leaks. Also most tire shops won't touch a tire with tire sealant in it. I have went from using sealants to tubing them instead which is what I did years before using the sealants.

The clumping issue could be due to dried grass stuck under the deck and causing it to stick. Also some blades can cause clumping. Too high or low lift will cause that issue also. Since it seems to resolve after a few times mowing it sounds like the deck gets slicked up and then discharged correctly.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Long term sealants don't work and will rust the wheel.
Spring grass is the wettest so cut less off more often till it get a bit hotter.

The Chairman

Threads
I won't use slime on a wheel that will exceed 20mph. I do use it on my Raptor. I won't plug a tire that goes over 20 mph. I do plug tires on my raptor. I retired from Goodyear, so I get why no shop will want to repair a tire that's been slimed. Ergo, I just do it myself.

Over-pressurize the tire a bit by 5 psi or so. Put it into a tub of water and spin slowly, looking for bubbles. Remove any nails, or obvious punctures and look closely to see if they are leaking or not. Once you find the leak(s), be sure to use a rasp, before you insert the plug with the tool. You can add some glue as it's going in. BTW, if it's a rip/tear, you just need to replace the tire. Trim the plug with a razor, dikes or a pair of scissors. If you do use a tube, the process is similar, but you'll have to apply a patch instead of use a plug.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
And on the subject of plugs, use a mower tyre plug not a car plug.
Car plugs have a thermal glue in them which softens when the tyre gets hot then bonds very strongly chemically to the tyre rubber.
Mower tyres only get hot when they are left in the sunlight so car plugs rarely end up being a perminent repair.
I have replaced a lot of plugs fitted by owners with proper mower or tractor ( for really big holes ) plugs.

RetiredGuns

Threads
I had a front tire that constantly went flat. I just put a tube in and all is good.

The Chairman

Threads
I just put a tube in one of mine as well.