Hustler Raptor 42" Model 931741 Pump Drive Belt Keeps Coming Off

MarkDean

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Hustler Raptor 42" Model 931741 Pump Drive Belt Keeps Coming Off
The perceived issue causing the belt to quickly come off was the 2" tension pulley and weak spring that provides tension to the belt.

That was not the cause of the belt coming off. The machine is 5 years old and used to mow several acres each week. The hydro-pumps at each of the two rear wheels have a cooling fan connected below the belt pulley.

The plastic blades over time weakened and when the mower is started and the pulleys rotate at a high RPM the blades rise upwards knocking off the belt. I purchased two new pulley's with plastic fans and changed the old ones out for new. That resolved the issue.

The new plastic blades were very stiff and rigid and the old ones were very soft in comparison. The new parts were the same brand as the pump.

To find out the best way to change out the old pulley/fan for the new, you can watch a video on YouTube. I used a portable roller crane to lift the rear of the mower, this inexpensive lift is like the type used to pull a automotive motor and I purchased it at Northern Tool to lift the back of the Raptor.

I disconnected the three bolts holding the pump in place and was able to lower it down low enough to remove the nut on top of the pulley/fan and then put the new pulley/fan on. After bolting back that pump I went to the other wheel and duplicated the process.

The support plate that connects the two rear pumps to add stability for the pumps, is strong enough to hold the pump up after removing the bolts, so you can remove the old pulley/fan and install the new one.

Last edited:

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
  • / Hustler Raptor 42" Model 931741 Pump Drive Belt Keeps Coming Off
Well I see someone fell for the fan/pulley kit deal. All that has to be changed is the fan or at least the ones I have done here that is all that is needed.

Last edited: