Hustler raptor 36” keeps throwing drive belt

Mad_mat222

Threads
The drive belt on the raptor SD keeps throwing. I clipped a post the other day and it spat the belt immediately. Up until that point and after 290hrs, I have only had the belt come off once and that was when it wore out and snapped.

There does not appear to be any damage to the Hydro drive (port side). I put the belt on 3 times and it spat it within 20m each time and on the 3rd snapped.
I replaced the belt and idler spring and it seems to be going alright since (about 2hrs mow time) but did jump off when I drove off a kirb.

the idler has minimal play and in good condition. The idler arm does have some wear and I adjusted the nylon nut to the point slack was taken out but the arm could still move freely.

the pulleys on the drive appear in good condition. Nil damages fins etc.

my guess is that the idler arm was probably the cause. Any suggestions or experiences

interesting that I have had a few gremlins starting all around the 280hr mark. Until then I didn’t have an issue. Multiple issues since.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Need model from the serial number tag so we can look up the IPL.

But what I have found on the 42" Raptor versions of this Hustler is that Hydros get loose (ie bolts falling out allowing the hydros to rock back and forth), Left hand hydro fan blades curling up into the belt path (hitting both the belt and the frame), and the little 2 idler pulley bearing failures. I have replaced a lot these idler pulleys and fans so much so that I keep several of the fans, pulleys, and drive belts. For some reason right hydro is not having this fan curling problems.

Now the drive idler pulley arm will oval and thinner at the pivot point. It and the stepped washer would need replacing this is the case.

Mad_mat222

Threads
My thought on the fans could be that the right side has shorter distances between pulleys on the incoming side and has the tension close by minimising belt movement were as the port side has longer distance and maybe more prone to spitting belts.

I have been using IPL for 938357CE.
Cheers

Mad_mat222

Threads
Just thought I would update based on a bit of extra experience now

if your drive belt keeps throwing, you have loose bolt Or cracked mounting brackets!
I have worked on a few machines now with this issue and always the same. Some of the broken hangers can be hard to see. Fyi

Bertrrr

Threads
Ran across this one time before , had to install a Cog Belt don't know why but it stopped the belt from fall off