Hustler fastrak oil leak

jocko165

Forum Newbie
Threads
i have a 15(?) year old fastrak. it has always had a small oil leak as oil would get all over the outside of the engine and collect dirt and dust. it was never bad enough to even notice it on the dipstick. never had to add oil between changes. didnt smoke like it was burning oil. we used it at the end of last season and parked it in the shop as usual. was out in shop a few days later and huge puddle of oil on floor and none on dipstick. i am a maintenance mechanic but i dont have much experience with small engines. i figured it was probably a seal or gasket somewhere. any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
My suggestion, as I’ve used this method hundreds of time tracing hydraulic leaks, when I can’t find the source. Get out your pressure washer and make that unit sparkling clean. No oil, no dirt, no residue., just like new. Completely dry the unit. Get yourself some very fine powder, like flour, foot powder, talc, etc. Run the unit for about 20 minutes to get everything hot. Park in a clean, dry, non windy area. Give any areas where you suspect the oil is leaking a good dusting of powder. Be generous. Let sit for at least 24 hours or until you see an oil leak. Because of the dusting you will now be able to trace the leak back to the source. After repairs are made you’ll need to give it a second washing.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Foot spray powder or dye penetrant powder work best for this

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Or just an UV tracer dye in the oil. Just be aware the UV dye and light must be match up or it will not work right.

I used UV dye in both the engine and Hyrdo oils. Sure make it easier to find leaks.

dalealan

Forum Newbie
Threads
Unit that old, I just changed the top and bottom crankshaft oil seals on mine.
Dale

jocko165

Forum Newbie
Threads
dalealan, do you have any diagrams or exploded views that show these?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
In order to do that we must have at least the engine model and spec numbers. We are not physic.

dalealan

Forum Newbie
Threads
No, no diagrams or pictures. Pretty much basic. Pull plastic off top of engine, pull flywheel, ignition coils for top seal.
Bottom seal, drop clutch and all pulleys to get to seals. If that clutch has never been off you will probably ruin the very
top pulley (for hydros). If not very mechanical you might want it done by the dealer. It was not easy and you need a few
tools,puller,etc.
Dale

jocko165

Forum Newbie
Threads
sorry startrech, didnt have that info at the time i posted this.and i didnt figure i would have a PSYCHIC on here. the mower model # is 928275 and ser # is 08031360. engine is a 19 hp kawasaki. unfortunately the sticker with the info i need is illegible. but i did have enough foresight of thought that i wrote them down under the seat. FH580V 19.0 engine number is FH580VB78432 and code is FH580V-CS16-R

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Tnx for correcting my spelling. So it spelled Psychic.

Here is a link to the Kawasaki FH580V-CS16 service manual.
https://mymowerparts.com/pdf/Kawasa...SAKI-SERVICE-REPAIR-MANUAL--99924-2078-01.pdf

And an online copy of IPL is here.
https://www.jackssmallengines.com/j...ine/fh580v/fh580v-cs16-4-stroke-engine-fh580v

Both these should be of help.

BTW: It was smart to write down the engine info. I got several customers that have lost both mower and engine decals after I had logged them into my system before they were lost.