Hustler 42" ZTR Repower (Honda to B&S)

esnb74

Forum Newbie
Threads
I got a free Hustler 42" with a bad Honda 16HP (GXV530) engine a couple years ago and I am finally getting around to re-powering it. Got a deal on a brand new Briggs & Stratton 19 HP single cylinder engine last year. I got it bolted in, clutch and belts all on perfectly. I got the exhaust figured out as well. I also bought a starter solenoid for it.

The only issue I am having is figuring out which of the wires coming out of Hustler control panel match up the wires on the B&S engine. I believe I found a wiring diagram on the internet for the B&S engine, but can't seem to find one for the mower or Honda engine so that I can hook the right wires together.

First pic is the wires coming out of mower control panel that was hooked to the Honda engine
Second pic is the plug on the new B&S engine
Third pic is the B&S wiring diagram I found online

hustler wires.jpgBS wires.jpgonline.jpg

Anyone know where each of the wires go that is coming out of the Hustler. I appreciate any help anyone has.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Ever thought about posting the model number of the Hustler?

esnb74

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ever thought about posting the model number of the Hustler?
I didn't. Good idea. The model # is 927368 Serial # is: 08012371

Any help or manuals would help as I haven't been able to find anything online.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Here is the wiring schematic for the Hustler 927368 Mini FasTrak..
1647006080702.png

esnb74

Forum Newbie
Threads
Here is the wiring schematic for the Hustler 927368 Mini FasTrak..
Thanks. The colors don't match what I have nor really tell me where they need to go on the new B&S engine. Gonna have to do with a Test meter I guess and hope and pray.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
HAve a think about it
Carb solenoid will be a wire that goes + 12V when ever the key is on
Kill wire to coil will be closed to ground key off & open circuit key on
Alternator wires will go to the regulator / rectifier ( probably your only problem )
So take the blower housing off the Honda and follow the wires back to the plug
Note the colours & position , remember the plug positions will be mirror reversed when looking at them pin end on
Pull the kill wire off the magneto on the new mower just in case you accidentially cross wire power to it .
crunch comes with alternators as you B &S could have any one of the 4 common alternators and they all wire slightly differently .
Basically there will only be 4 wires to worry about
1) magneto kill wire
2) carb solenoid power wire
3) + return to the battery from rectifier
4) starter solenoid trip wire
Some will have an AC wire for AC lights

esnb74

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks bertsmobile1! I wil do some testing this weekend, if I have time.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The engine plug will most likely have 4 wires the Yellow, Brown, Tan/Red & Red
The B & S plug will usually be 6 pin plug with 2 vacant places.
They are there to accomodate a battery charge indicator & an oil level / pressure switch .
That mass of black wires will not be there, just 1 or 2 wires going to an engine bolt .
They are shown in the schmetic simply to show a complete circuit, battery + through to battery -

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
maybe this will help some.
1647089671381.png
Now some Briggs engine that have remote starter solenoid will need the voltage regulator positive wired the battery side of the starter solenoid in order for the battery to charge. The above diagram show a solenoid shift starter which Briggs do not use so you will need to add one to the circuit.

esnb74

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you everyone. I really do appreciate all of the help. I always love gaining more knowledge where I am weak. Welding/Fabricating/Painting - I have plenty of experience. Wiring small engines.... not my strong suit. :)
-------------------------------------------------------

Coming out of the Hustler mower there is: 1 blk/red stripe, 2 Gray, 1 Blk/Yellow stripe, plus the solenoid trigger wire (I know because it was hooked to the Honda starter [with internal solenoid] spade connector.)

I have an extra external solenoid for my '65 Mustang that I am going to mount and use for B & S engine. I have extended the solenoid trigger wire already.

Coming out of the B&S engine there is Red, Orange, Gray and Black.
- The diagram above shows:
* Red is the battery charging wire
* Orange is the Power to key switch wire
* Black is the ignition kill wire
* Gray is Carburetor solenoid wire

There is also an oil pressure wire that I won't need as the B&S does have an oil pressure sensor. without it hooked up - will that prevent it from starting?

Doesn't look like I am going to get time this weekend as we leave for a quick Spring Break trip with the kids tomorrow.