Husqvarna Z254 Not Moving

Skybird

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a new Husqvarna Z254 mower. It only has 50 hours on it, still in warranty, but today it just quit moving. It won't move forward or rear. Engine is fine, blades engage but no movement. I also checked the free wheeling pins and disengaged, the tractor won't move, it feels like the transmission is locked. It is going to be tough to even pull onto a trailer. I am hoping there is something simple that I can fix here on the farm before I go through the hassle of getting as service guy to come and get it. I live out in the boonies and the nearest HV dealer is 15 miles away. Warranty will cover repairs, but not transportation. Any ideas? I am hoping that it is a spring or belt that broke. Help!

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
In my opinion, if you can’t get it to move after disconnecting the hydraulic releases, you are going to have to get it to the service center. Even with a broken belt or spring, you still should be able to move the unit.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
You did release the brakes after you pulled the disengagement levers?

And people it is at least 25 miles one way to get to any dealer which makes my independent shop an ideal location for locals. Don't do warranty work other than on my own repairs but some are willing to pay anyways for at least finding out the problem. If minor I take care of the problem otherwise I send the customer to the dealer.

Mower King

Threads
I have a new Husqvarna Z254 mower. It only has 50 hours on it, still in warranty, but today it just quit moving. It won't move forward or rear. Engine is fine, blades engage but no movement. I also checked the free wheeling pins and disengaged, the tractor won't move, it feels like the transmission is locked. It is going to be tough to even pull onto a trailer. I am hoping there is something simple that I can fix here on the farm before I go through the hassle of getting as service guy to come and get it. I live out in the boonies and the nearest HV dealer is 15 miles away. Warranty will cover repairs, but not transportation. Any ideas? I am hoping that it is a spring or belt that broke. Help!
If you can't have someone help you drag it on a trailer, have them (service guy) come and get it. 15 miles to your dealer, seems not that far to me. People drive by several shops, some 75 miles, to bring mowers to the dealership I work at.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Get under the mower
On the inside of each wheel motor is an exposed gear this is the parking brake.
There is a toothed bannana shaped casting that locks into the toothed wheel to provide parking brake when the engine is off.
It is spring loaded on and when you move the lap bars the bannanas move back out of the way.
Yours sound like they are locked in the on position.
The control rod has a nut & spring for adjusting and you can adjust them completely off.
Not familiar enough with your model , but usual control is by a small electric stepping motor or solenoid.
Toro use a similar system and the very expensive control boxes are always stuffing up.
Just be careful as when this brake is released thee is nothing to stop it rolling away other than the oil pressure in the tranny .

Skybird

Forum Newbie
Threads
In my opinion, if you can’t get it to move after disconnecting the hydraulic releases, you are going to have to get it to the service center. Even with a broken belt or spring, you still should be able to move the unit.
THANKS. I HAVE SOMEONE COMING TO LOOK AT IT TODAY. I FIGURED IT SHOULD MOVE TOO, BUT IS LOCKED. APPRECIATE IT.

Skybird

Forum Newbie
Threads
Get under the mower
On the inside of each wheel motor is an exposed gear this is the parking brake.
There is a toothed bannana shaped casting that locks into the toothed wheel to provide parking brake when the engine is off.
It is spring loaded on and when you move the lap bars the bannanas move back out of the way.
Yours sound like they are locked in the on position.
The control rod has a nut & spring for adjusting and you can adjust them completely off.
Not familiar enough with your model , but usual control is by a small electric stepping motor or solenoid.
Toro use a similar system and the very expensive control boxes are always stuffing up.
Just be careful as when this brake is released thee is nothing to stop it rolling away other than the oil pressure in the tranny .
THANKS. I BIT THE BULLET AND CALLED A SERVICE COMPANY FOR HUSQVARNA TO COME LOOK. APPRECIATE YOUR SUGGESTION.

Skybird

Forum Newbie
Threads
I got lucky with the problem I had with my Z254F mower! Service guy came out and figured after looking under the machine that the drive belt had somehow come off. The spring tensioner was fine, so he did not know how the belt came off. He did suggest that I put a 3/8 washer under the bolt that keeps the spring attached. He said that sometimes the spring can jump the bolt. I did that and finished cutting the grass, so all is good. I had to pay 75.00 for a service call, but thank God it was not worse, even though the machine was under warranty. Losing the cutter for any amount of time would be difficult.

Mower King

Threads
I got lucky with the problem I had with my Z254F mower! Service guy came out and figured after looking under the machine that the drive belt had somehow come off. The spring tensioner was fine, so he did not know how the belt came off. He did suggest that I put a 3/8 washer under the bolt that keeps the spring attached. He said that sometimes the spring can jump the bolt. I did that and finished cutting the grass, so all is good. I had to pay 75.00 for a service call, but thank God it was not worse, even though the machine was under warranty. Losing the cutter for any amount of time would be difficult.
I luv the simple stuff.....because a lot of the times, it is not.
Glad you got going easily!