Husqvarna RZ5426 dies intermittently when mowing

crnomrsn

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have an RZ5426 (w/ Kohler SV-735-3031 engine) that has about 3800 hours on it. Old in the tooth, but has been a solid machine. Starting last season, you can mow for about an hour with it, then it will intermittently start to stall while mowing. Sometimes you can disengage the blade and it will recover, but usually it dies. It will always start right back up, usually with a little bit of choke.

At first I thought it was more electrical in nature, so I replaced the carb solenoid, disconnected the seat kill switch, and checked wiring connections (I haven't replaced any of the various kill switches). Then I thought it may be fuel delivery, so I replaced the fuel pump, the ROV valve, and sprayed out the carb with cleaner (I didn't replace any carb parts). I also pulled the gas tank, dumped it, checked inside and found a hunk of plastic, which I thought was the issue (but it was not). I've also replaced the fuel filter.

Last week my wife ran it for over an hour in the morning with no problem, then it started acting up. She finally let it set the rest of the day, and I tried it again in the evening. It started acting up almost immediately. I just can't decide if it seems like it is an electrical engine kill or it is momentarily losing fuel. Any thoughts of where to go next with this conundrum? I'm probably overlooking something simple, but can't see the forest for the trees right now.

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
This is classic blocked fuel tank symptoms.
When it stops pull the fuel line off at the tank side of the fuel pump , remove the filler cap and blow back through the fuel line .
It will probably be very hard to blow at first till you dislodge the debris
If this seems to temporarily fix your problem then time to remove the tank & clean it out .

crnomrsn

Forum Newbie
Threads
This is classic blocked fuel tank symptoms.
When it stops pull the fuel line off at the tank side of the fuel pump , remove the filler cap and blow back through the fuel line .
It will probably be very hard to blow at first till you dislodge the debris
If this seems to temporarily fix your problem then time to remove the tank & clean it out .
Makes perfect sense to me. I’ll give that a try in the next couple days and report back. Thanks!