Husqvarna MZT - 16 general question

WNBolivar

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello. First post and I'm not sure if I should ask here, but the question I have is more general to any zero turn than just the Husqvarna that I have.

I've had this zero turn for about 4 years and I love it. It has not let me down once yet, and the 61" cutting is great.
My question is in changing the mower blades. Ugh, I can't seem to find an easy way to do it. Yesterday, I drove it up onto our concrete front stairs, blocked the rear wheels, and literally crawled underneath it. I don't have a lot of arm strength, and holding the new blade onto the star spindle while I try and get the bolt back on is a real challenge. Also, scraping the old grass off the underside of the deck in this position is nothing short of a pain. Very dirty job. The main problem is the center blade which is so far away from either side of the mower deck that it's really difficult to get both my hands that far under the deck.

I thought about a lawn tractor hydraulic jack, but I don't think it will lift it far enough to make this job any easier.

What about getting an electric winch or manual 'boat trailer' type winch and lifting the front end up until the zero turn is almost vertical? I'm thinking that most of the weight in in the back, the engine is over the rear tires so I don't think the front end is very heavy.

Any thoughts on how to do this regular maintenance job easier than crawling on my back?

Thanks.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
There is a limit to how far you can lift the front of the mower , caused by the back hitting the ground.
FWIW I use a yard crane.
That gets the mower deck to about a 30 deg slope to the ground which is enough for me to comfortably sit under the mower.
When you do this it is prudent to remove the spark plugs and spin the engine a few times as oil can run down the cylinder and get between the piston crown & the head .
This can hydro lock the engine, bend con rods , crack heads or blow head gaskets.
More critical with singles than twins .

BEfore the yard crane I used an engine hoist .
Nothing wrong with a Mo-Jack or similar except it is only good for one job where as the engine crane can be used for general lifting .

Catherine

LawnWorld Support
Staff member
Threads
Welcome to the forum!
I'm going to move this thread over to our Husqvarna section.
You should find lots of advice over there.