Husqvarna CTH 151 - Wont Start after Washing - Ideas Appreciated.

swagstaff

Threads
  • / Husqvarna CTH 151 - Wont Start after Washing - Ideas Appreciated.
Hi There, any ideas here? I'm based in Europe - I have a CTH151 with Kohler engine - Maybe a different name elsewhere. I decided to give the body and part of the underside a clean, and I think I was an idiot as I also cleaned the engine area with a hosepipe. Anyways, when I turn the key I get that slight high pitched wine noise, which normally happens when the battery is dead, or nearly dead. Engine doesn't seem to be turning. I checked the oil a few days ago and it was ok. Serviced 2 years ago. I charged the battery overnight, checked all the obvious connections to battery etc. Really don't want to send to the shop as I'm out of work due to Covid. And there expensive in Britain! Any ideas what I can look at?

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
If there is a removable cover over the starter drive take it off and see if the whine is the srarter spinning. If it is check why the the drive gear doesn't raise up and engage the flywheel.

swagstaff

Threads
Thanks a lot Hammer for the quick response, so I took the cover off - It sounds like the starter is the whine noise. It feels hot to touch also, when trying the ignition. I've taken some pictures, but I cant seem to upload them as they are too large, even though these days they are quite small - I did notice that the drive gear seems to be out of line with the flywheel? But it is supposed to raise up? When would this happen and why wouldn't it be happening?

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
You can use an app like Decomp to resize the pictures. Does the starter have the solenoid on it or dies it have a separate relay? Depends on the starter type as to how it raises the gear.

swagstaff

Threads
Hi There, I used Paint to get the filesizes down - Anyway - I'm really not sure - see attached pictures - let me know if more needed - There is something on the top of it? Not sure what it is though

Attachments

• IMG_20200811_184416_small.jpg
    IMG_20200811_184416_small.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20200811_184506_small.jpg
    IMG_20200811_184506_small.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 13

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Either the starter bushing to armature shaft is struck or the starter Bendix has gone bad. The Bendix uses rubber to metal engagement method and the rubber does wear to a point where it no longer can provide the needed fiction to run the starter gear up to the flywheel. Also on these starter the armature shaft does rust and binds in the top bushing. Either way it is a new starter as that Johnson Electric starter does not have individual parts available.

Plumberroy

Threads
One last thing to try before buying a starter. Rap the starter lightly with a rubber mallet or the wooden handle of a hammer just enough to jar it . For the record anytime I wash a mower I do it with the engine running

swagstaff

Threads
Either the starter bushing to armature shaft is struck or the starter Bendix has gone bad. The Bendix uses rubber to metal engagement method and the rubber does wear to a point where it no longer can provide the needed fiction to run the starter gear up to the flywheel. Also on these starter the armature shaft does rust and binds in the top bushing. Either way it is a new starter as that Johnson Electric starter does not have individual parts available.

swagstaff

Threads
Wow Thanks a lot guys - I used a little WD40 on the starter - and a very light tap to it with hammer - Burst into life - You guys are heroes!