Husqvarna 3016ZT Flooding, Flooding Big Time

Alex Ethridge

Threads
It was running fine, then ignition seemed to miss a time or two over about 15 seconds then went dead. I do have spark, tried starting fluid but then removed the air cleaner. Long story short, when engine turns over, it belches gasoline out the intake, lots of it. Probably less than 20 hours use on the mower (residential & relatively small yard).

I cut the fuel supply and turned it over a while and I guess it cleared the flood as it started and ran a minute or so, I guess until it burned the fuel in the line.

There are some wires connected to the bottom of the fuel bowl. What is their purpose?

Suggestions?

Last edited:

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
is it still under warranty? Be sure to check the oil too since that gas may have drained into the oil.

Alex Ethridge

Threads
is it still under warranty? Be sure to check the oil too since that gas may have drained into the oil.
Not in warranty and thanks for the tip. Aside from checking the oil, which I did, I never would have thought of gas in the oil. This will be a good time to change oil just to be safe.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
sounds like a failed float needle... it's job is to meter fuel flow into the carburetor. when it fails, it floods out...

Alex Ethridge

Threads
That's my reasoning, too, either that or a bad float. I am looking in the engine's parts manual and this doesn't make sense to me:

According to the Briggs parts manual, there are possibly two carburetors, a Nikki and a Ruixing and which one it is depends on the engine code.

Now here's the part that doesn't make sense:
(Nikki) Used Before Code Date 15113000
(Ruixing) Used After Code Date 15112900

My engine is code 160418ZD

My thinking tells me the higher number has to be a later date.

Anyway, I'm now wondering if I even have the correct parts manual.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
16 comes after 15, so you should have a Ruixing carburetor.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
And the thing with wires under the carb is a shut down solenoid
It stops fuel LEAVING the carb via the main jet , it does not stop fuel entering the carb filling the float bowl till it pours out of the vent hole

Alex Ethridge

Threads
This seems to me to be an oxymoron. The two lines below seem to cancel each other:
(Nikki) Used Before Code Date 15113000
(Ruixing) Used After Code Date 15112900

Last edited:

Alex Ethridge

Threads
Turned out it was a Ruixing carburetor as the name is in relief in the casting on the side of the carburetor body. I ordered a Genuine Briggs "carburetor rebuild kit" from from an on-line dealer. It contained the "needle" I needed plus a whole lot of parts I didn't. The whole kit could have fit in a standard letter envelope and arrived in a box big enough to hold two pair of size 14 shoes.

The float in the float bowl is molded nylon and the tang where the needle attaches is part of the injection molding and not adjustable. I have in the remote past been able to bend the tang a tiny bit until I got the float parallel with the carburetor body when holding it up-side-down but not this one -- not adjustable at all and the float is noticeably NOT parallel with the body. That had me a little worried that it might run either too rich or not run well at all. I put the old needle back in just to check where it positioned the float and its position was perfectly parallel. I measured the length of the old and new needles with a micrometer and the new one is 5 thousandths of an inch shorter which has me wondering if the kit I got was actually a genuine Briggs part.

In any case, it starts and runs fine when sitting still but I haven't cut any grass with it yet. I'll post back in about a week when it's time to cut grass again if there is a problem.