husqvarna 2446 YTH Electrical issue

bur

Forum Newbie
Threads
I recently purchased a new battery for my mower. after a couple of hours of constant use the mower quit. when I attempted to restart I got a "click" I tested the batt. for charge and it was down. Recharged and it again worked well for a couple of hours, before abruptly quitting. I again went through the above procedure, but this time after charging I still only get a "click". does this seem like a starter issue? or solenoid? or other? any assistance will be appreciated. Thanks, Bur

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
WELCOME to these Forums...

your mower is Not charging... That is the place to start looking for problems, I believe you have a 20 hp. Briggs & Stratton engine.
:smile:KennyV

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yes it sure sounds like your battery not charging. Then you said the last time you recharged your battery and now you now only get a click. So your battery is fully charged and you are only getting a click? You better recheck your battery cable connections. You will need a voltage gage and take some readings to see what is going on here.

bur

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yes it sure sounds like your battery not charging. Then you said the last time you recharged your battery and now you now only get a click. So your battery is fully charged and you are only getting a click? You better recheck your battery cable connections. You will need a voltage gage and take some readings to see what is going on here.

thanks for responding.

I don't know too much about using a voltage gauge, but I do have a multi-meter, and It may do what you suggest. I just don't know the settings to use. Ps. I miss quoted the model of my mower last night. I checked it today and it is actually model YTH2448T

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
thanks for responding. I don't know too much about using a voltage gauge, but I do have a multi-meter, and It may do what you suggest. I just don't know the settings to use. Ps. I miss quoted the model of my mower last night. I checked it today and it is actually model YTH2448T

I have this same mower and just had problems with the clutch shutting off and the battery not charging. On the side of the engine there is a square box with 3 wires on it this is the voltage regulator un bolt it and clean around the holes and re bolt. It needs to have a good ground.

To test the charging system set your multi meter to 12v dc You just read at least 14 volts at the battery with the engine running

You can run jumper cables from your car to the mower to start it. With car not running.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Very first thing I would check is the battery connection to ground. Husky had a problem where the ground wire was not connected properly.

liljohn

Threads
Hi I recently bought a craftsman 5speed 12hp 38" riding lawn mower. But it cranks but it won't start the crank on top Doesnt spin either. Where should I start I can't find a manual online. Please help. Thank you

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Hi I recently bought a craftsman 5speed 12hp 38" riding lawn mower. But it cranks but it won't start the crank on top Doesnt spin either. Where should I start I can't find a manual online. Please help. Thank you

Ok first slow down and count to 10
And explain this to us one more time

liljohn

Threads
When a turn the key to start it. It is cranking but engine isn't turning over.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
I'm going to guess here... You can hear the starter motor turning But the starter is Not turning the Engine... Is that correct?
If so the first thing to check: Is the starter getting a Full 12 volts AT the starter terminal While you hear it turning?
The 'usual' cause is ... Low battery Or corroded & or Loose battery cables, check Both ends of Both cables And the large cable between the solenoid and the starter. AND check that the starter is bolted solid to the engine... Post back with what you found Or if I am Not understanding your problem. :smile::smile:KennyV