Husqvarna 150 BT - Gas in air filter and muffler after shutdown

Rngr93

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Husqvarna 150 BT - Gas in air filter and muffler after shutdown
I have a Husqvarna 150 BT blower. It is about 8 years old and never had a problem with it till the other day when I noticed a strong gas smell coming from it. I had used it earlier in the day and placed it back on the shelf, When I came back out about 30 minutes later the tank was about empty and it was in a puddle of fuel. It had been sitting upright the entire time. I took off the air cleaner and it was soaked in fuel, I pulled the starter rope and gas came out of the muffler. I thought the diaphragm in the carburetor was bad, so I cleaned out the gas tank changed the fuel lines, and replaced it with a brand new carb. It started with no problem but when I went back 30 min, after I shut it off it was doing the same thing again. I am at a loss as to what to do from this point?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Two potential problems
1) the metering needle not holding closed or metering diaphragm torn
2) fuel system not venting

The fuel system is a pressure feed system
It is regulated to around 5 to 10 psi usually by the cap which may have a 2 way valve in it
The No 1 problem with hand held engines is varnish build up from evaporating fuel when not is use
The No 2 problem is tanks either not venting or not holding pressure
Since I started testing tanks properly I have cut down the carb rebuilds at least by 50%

Now you can either fix the problem, just replace the cap & hope or simply tip out the remaining fuel when you have finished then start the engine & run it dry.

Rngr93

Forum Newbie
Threads
Bertsmobile1- I appreciate the information. I will take a look at the gas cap and if that is not it then I will take up your advice about draining the tank,

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Just curious did replace the Walbro WYA-79 with an OEM $120 carburetor or one those junky clones?

lbrac

Threads
You might try loosening the fuel cap just slightly after you stop the engine to see if that fixes the problem. I have a Hitachi hand held blower that had a similar problem, unless I loosened the cap after use. Pressure build up in the tank would force so much fuel through the carb, sometimes it would lock up the engine. I would have to pull the spark plug and crank the engine over to force the excess fuel out the plug hole.