Husky Riding mower

leegru

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have had to replace 2 spindles. Not fun. The second one I just replaced , the screws came loose and the mower blade bent.So I go to take off the blade, it comes loose but not out entirely. I have tried putting pressure on the bolt to ease it off. . If the spindle now has the bolt hole stripped, it will have to be replaced. But I can't get the spindle off unless I get that blade and holding screw off. Any ideas how I can get that dang bolt off to take the blade off? Have tried pliers. By the way, the screws holding the spindle were not self tapping and I didnt realize I needed to put liquid lock washer on them. Thabks for any ideas! lee

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
It would help greatly if we knew what mower you have .
Most mower spindle housings come out from the bottom so the blade can remain on but the pulley has to come off so I am at a loss to give sound advice

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Well most MTD mower spindles do come out from the top side.

Try hold the top nut of the spindle pulley and see if you can remove the blade nut. Plus you might have to remove the pulley and use a 12 point 5/8" deep well impact socket (perferred) or a 6 point 11/16" deep well impact socket to fit the spindle shaft double hex pulley mount and use a couple pull bars to get the nut off. This assume the double hex has been damage from the blade impact causing the pulley to strip out. If that work then the nut has to be cut off.

leegru

Forum Newbie
Threads
It would help greatly if we knew what mower you have .
Most mower spindle housings come out from the bottom so the blade can remain on but the pulley has to come off so I am at a loss to give sound advice

leegru

Forum Newbie
Threads
thank you. The spindles i have replaced need you to be able to take off the top nut and 4 screws and the blade to to remove from the top . It is a Husquavarna YTH18542. To remove the spindle I have to be able to secure the blade so I can then remove the top spindle bolt. I have now been able to resecure the blade tightly, so will now try to remove the top bolt on the spindle, then the four holding bolts. Since I cannot remove the blade as the bolt seems to be in a stripped hole, I am hoping I can now remove the top bolt as I have retightend the bolt and blade. Thus with that static, the top bolt should come loose? Only problem now is the I would have to cut the blade bolt off as the blade prevents the spindle come from out the top? Hope this makes sense. My only other idea is to torch the blade and try to get it unbent, so I could still use it. Otherwise even on highest cut setting it drags.I am really pissed off that the last spindle I put on the bolts came loose, now instruction to use liquid stop washer.

oe and that is why the balde got bent. Now diretions on the Amazon spindle that it need liquid

Last edited:

leegru

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well most MTD mower spindles do come out from the top side.

Try hold the top nut of the spindle pulley and see if you can remove the blade nut. Plus you might have to remove the pulley and use a 12 point 5/8" deep well impact socket (perferred) or a 6 point 11/16" deep well impact socket to fit the spindle shaft double hex pulley mount and use a couple pull bars to get the nut off. This assume the double hex has been damage from the blade impact causing the pulley to strip out. If that work then the nut has to be cut off.
Thank you!. This is a Husky and the 2 spindles I have replace come out the top. Its that the dang blade bolt must be tight to be able to take off the top nut. Then you have to take off the blade and nut. There is the rub. Blade nut and hole probably stripped and comes loose but will not come off..Only come down an inch or so and thats it.I have been able to retighten the bolt, so can get the top spindle nut off. Then cut the blade bolt? Argghh! I think I need more than a hack saw to get that bolt sawed off?
What is a double hex pulley pulley mount?.Pull bars? Can you show me where I can buy those? bolt out?
Might those pull the stipped That sounds like it would work to pull that damn stripped bolt/hole through.I tried just using a pliers, not enough torque.It is going to take something to keep downward force on the nut to bring it past the stripped part. Any preferences on a new spindle?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Once you get the top nut off the entire spindle including the blade will drop out from the bottom.
I managed to get myself confused before
The nuts respond to a rattle gun much better than a long wrench & cheater bar .
The spindle is not to be trusted so toss it
A loose blade can demolish the entire deck in no time flat

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
thank you. The spindles i have replaced need you to be able to take off the top nut and 4 screws and the blade to to remove from the top . It is a Husquavarna YTH18542. To remove the spindle I have to be able to secure the blade so I can then remove the top spindle bolt. I have now been able to resecure the blade tightly, so will now try to remove the top bolt on the spindle, then the four holding bolts. Since I cannot remove the blade as the bolt seems to be in a stripped hole, I am hoping I can now remove the top bolt as I have retightend the bolt and blade. Thus with that static, the top bolt should come loose? Only problem now is the I would have to cut the blade bolt off as the blade prevents the spindle come from out the top? Hope this makes sense. My only other idea is to torch the blade and try to get it unbent, so I could still use it. Otherwise even on highest cut setting it drags.I am really pissed off that the last spindle I put on the bolts came loose, now instruction to use liquid stop washer.

oe and that is why the balde got bent. Now diretions on the Amazon spindle that it need liquid

Wait a minute the Husqvarna YTH18542 spindles are suppose to be mounted from the underside of the deck. If they are mounted on top of the deck they are mounted wrong. You should only need to remove the spindle pulley and four screws and the spindle with blade will drop out.
1656496191935.png

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
BTW Husky can refer to either Husqvarna or MTD Huskee mowers as I have seen both posted with the term Husky. If it was a chainsaw then I would have assumed Husqvarna.

leegru

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you!. This is a Husky and the 2 spindles I have replace come out the top. Its that the dang blade bolt must be tight to be able to take off the top nut. Then you have to take off the blade and nut. There is the rub. Blade nut and hole probably stripped and comes loose but will not come off..Only come down an inch or so and thats it.I have been able to retighten the bolt, so can get the top spindle nut off. Then cut the blade bolt? Argghh! I think I need more than a hack saw to get that bolt sawed off?
What is a double hex pulley pulley mount?.Pull bars? Can you show me where I can buy those? bolt out?
Might those pull the stipped That sounds like it would work to pull that damn stripped bolt/hole through.I tried just using a pliers, not enough torque.It is going to take something to keep downward force on the nut to bring it past the stripped part. Any preferences on a new spindle?

Once you get the top nut off the entire spindle including the blade will drop out from the bottom.
I managed to get myself confused before
The nuts respond to a rattle gun much better than a long wrench & cheater bar .
The spindle is not to be trusted so toss it
A loose blade can demolish the entire deck in no time flat