Husky 5K gen with Subaru ohv engine.

Spiderweb

Threads
Loaned Gen to friend, he wired tided governor full run to faster, motor froze up. I am thinking the oil could not return to sump fast enough, or OHV dropped jammed piston.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Engine have governor for a reason. They are not design to run at excessive rpm. When they do internal damage can occur. There could be any number things now wrong with the engine that only complete tear down would reveal. It does sound the piston rod is stuck to crankshaft but that is just a guess.

If he is a true friend he would be paying for the repairs or a new generator which ever is cheaper. Subaru has exited the small engine market and Yamaha brought that division. Parts availability is unknown.

From Wikipedia>
1669640971712.png

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Engine have governor for a reason. They are not design to run at excessive rpm. When they do internal damage can occur. There could be any number things now wrong with the engine that only complete tear down would reveal. It does sound the piston rod is stuck to crankshaft but that is just a guess.

If he is a true friend he would be paying for the repairs or a new generator which ever is cheaper. Subaru has exited the small engine market and Yamaha brought that division. Parts availability is unknown.

From Wikipedia>
View attachment 62882
And even worse on a generator because overspeed would also effect voltage and frequency. so overspeed could potentially damage whatever is plugged in at that time.

Spiderweb

Threads
And even worse on a generator because overspeed would also effect voltage and frequency. so overspeed could potentially damage whatever is plugged in at that time.
My friend is deceased. RIP,

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
My friend is deceased. RIP,
Sorry to hear that..But it will happen to all us sooner or later. Hopefully a lot later. We all live on borrowed time and when we are called we go.