HS40 ignition chip?

homer6679

Forum Newbie
Threads
Can you add a chip to these older engines to remove the points? I know you can do it to chainsaws but not sure you can do it to these engines. Has anyone done it?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Should be able to do it but get a kit that allows for positive ground just in case Tecumseh used a positive system like Briggs did on their cast iron engines. Otherwords kit that is for both negative and positive ground systems.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You might just find an Atom kit for your engine
And yes every set of points could have been eliminated going back as far as 1962 but no US company that I know of would pay Atom the 5¢ in royaltites apart from Mercury till the 90's when the patient expired .

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
I tried several different kits on an old tecumseh points set up, never could get a consisten strong spark from it. worked on it for several months.

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
Shrub what kind did you use the kind that has two terminals on it works on most any of the the ign. have used them on the old cast iron briggs and the cast iron Kohlers you just have to reverse the wires on some of them. If it doesn't work one way reverse the wires and try it again.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Shrub what kind did you use the kind that has two terminals on it works on most any of the the ign. have used them on the old cast iron briggs and the cast iron Kohlers you just have to reverse the wires on some of them. If it doesn't work one way reverse the wires and try it again.
I used the single terminal Kawasaki igniter, and the double terminal, from several different manufacturers. Always the same result. Even with a new coil.
Tried reversing them as well

VegetiveSteam

Threads
You can if the ignition coil is outside the flywheel. If the ignition coil is under the flywheel then no.

VRR.DYNDNS>BIZ

Threads
I tried several different kits on an old tecumseh points set up, never could get a consisten strong spark from it. worked on it for several months.
The instructions on those kits tell you if the flywheel has two magnets, out are out of luck, a weak spark incorrectly timed will result.

sottis

Forum Newbie
Threads
I did it to a 2hp B&S Mclane Edger back in the 90's - still running strong, 2 pulls to start every time.