HRX217 transmission swap for less $?

JBtoro

Threads
I have an HRX217HMA. Probably need a new tranny; tried service but it still lacks guts. Bad news is that new trannys are as high as $250+. But then I ran across this fellow who replaced the original tranny (like mine) with another HRX217 version that is only about $140. He didn't discuss the price difference in his video; he just did it. The original is aluminum (I think) & the replacement is mostly plastic. Basically, it fit but one comment stated, "You indeed installed the 3 speed gear driven transmission non-hydro(20001-VH7-003). Glad it worked. Original transmission for that mower which has the hydro drive is part#(04200-VH7-315) as stated above."

Anyone have any experience with this? On a 15 year old mower (mine), I don't really care if I have 5 speeds vs. 3 & gear driven is likely to be less problematic in terms of future service. Below are pictures from his video.

hrx217 2 trannys.jpg

Attachments

• hrx217 2 trannys.jpg
    hrx217 2 trannys.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 7

upupandaway

Threads
...replaced the original tranny (like mine) with another HRX217 version that is only about $140....
From all the hondas that people toss(for misc reasons) and the nearby shop(for the same reasons), I have a trans sitting around if u r interested.

"Anyone have any experience with this?" NEVER buy the honda that has variable speed. It works using friction plates that wear out. According to the parts diagram honda only sells the full gearbox and not the parts that wear out to replace it. The ones i find have the white "butterfly" control handle. "Danger Will Robinson!!" 99% of the time i find them, that is the problem and they are only 7-8 years old.

The ones that have a set # of speeds have gears- thus gears shouldn't wear out but even those i find broken now and then.

Last edited:

JBtoro

Threads
From all the hondas that people toss(for misc reasons) and the nearby shop(for the same reasons), I have a trans sitting around if u r interested.

"Anyone have any experience with this?" NEVER buy the honda that has variable speed. It works using friction plates that wear out. According to the parts diagram honda only sells the full gearbox and not the parts that wear out to replace it. The ones i find have the white "butterfly" control handle. "Danger Will Robinson!!" 99% of the time i find them, that is the problem and they are only 7-8 years old.

The ones that have a set # of speeds have gears- thus gears shouldn't wear out but even those i find broken now and then.
Thanks for the reply. Actually, I got it working after buying a new upgraded cable & bleeding the air out of the unit for the third time. Can't emphasize the latter enough. One needs to keep tilting & rotating for a long time (patience; something I usually lack), maybe even 30 minutes or so. Make extra sure there are no more bubbles. After about 5-10 minutes, you might think you have removed them but there is more air in the reservoir than you realize. Then, finally, be sure & top off with Honda fluid all the way to the very top of the fill hole. Picture says HST but procedure is the same for HRX.

HRX217 bleed.jpg