HRX217 transmission options?

DougMcK

Forum Newbie
Threads
Greetings Experts!

I'm looking into buying a used HRX217 and am curious about the transmission options they seem to come with (hydrostatic or belt?). They have various marketing names, but I don't understand really what they refer to.

Also, it seems that at least some of them have a blade clutch. I understand that some have an autochoke that can sometimes fail, but I don't see that as too big a deal (unless the module is annoyingly expensive).

Can someone point me to a summary of the options and versions that this mower has had?

Much appreciated,
Doug

olgeezershonda

Threads
The HRX217 is the premium line and come in various versions that change somewhat depending on the year and model. It is the suffix letters that mainly differentiates the models. Some have hydrostatic drives, some belt, some electric start, some discharge clipping different than others. The latest models have larger engines.

I found the easiest way to get to know the various models is to enter the full model number of a mower you're interested in into youtube then watch the videos. Of course you can always ask here too.

As for the autochoke mine has it and so far so good. No issues. From what I've heard not expensive nor time consuming to replace.

Last edited:

DougMcK

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks, so I'm getting the impression that the "H" designation showing up in the model refers to the hydrostatic option.
Is the hydrostatic transmission considered desireable, or is it a reliability concern?

cheers,
Doug

olgeezershonda

Threads
Honda has offered hydrostatic transmissions in their walk behinds since at least 1990 (I have a mower brochure printed 03/90) plus they are also found in their commercial walk behind mowers so they are nothing new to Honda. The HRX in my sig is a hydrostatic drive and I like it as it allows on-the-fly infinite speed control using only my thumb. The orange 'shift' lever allows you to pre-set one of nine maximum speeds.

As for the second H that could be, I just never noticed. HR = Honda Rotary, the X designates a NeXite polymer deck which has also been around for 30+ years. Only it wasn't called Nextite then, just polymer. 21 = cutting width, 7 = approximate HP, Z = electric start, Not sure what word the Y is associated with.

JBtoro

Threads
Here is how I converted autochoke to manual rather easily.

DougMcK

Forum Newbie
Threads
That’s an interesting thread about manual conversion. I haven’t had a chance to look at my carb yet, but am I right in guessing that the thick spacer prevents engagement of the mechanism that applies the choke?