HRX 217 issue bagging leaves going forward

BudLight

Threads
My HRX 217 tends blow leaves out the right side of the deck and really doesn’t even mulch them. When I pull the mower backwards, it does a much better job pulling leaves up off the ground and bagging them. No issues with grass clippings. Anyone know of a fix for this?

olgeezershonda

Threads
Have you tried the suggestions in the Mowing Tips/Fallen Leaves section in your owners manual?

BudLight

Threads
Have not. I didn’t realize that the manual had anything like this. I’ll certainly take a look. Thanks…

BudLight

Threads
I looked at the manual. They’re describing a mulching process for the leaves. The illustrations show the mower without the bagger. I want to bag the leaves but do it more efficiently than currently able to.

olgeezershonda

Threads
Sorry about that, you mentioned mulching in your opening sentence so I just assumed.

I would play around with the deck height settings, your ground speed, overlap, and the size of the bag/mulch door opening. I found for bagging leaves lower deck height settings work better than higher ones. I found poplar leaves to be the worst as they don't crumble easily and tend to blow out the side a lot more than other varieties.

olgeezershonda

Threads
Maybe others will chime in with their own experiences.

BudLight

Threads
Understood and thanks. I’m in SC and over seeded my fescue lawn a few weeks ago so I’m limited on how close I can cut. Additionally, I have some oak trees that are just starting to drop some leaves which can smother the new growth. I’d like to minimize the damage those leaves are doing to my new grass.

enigma-2

Threads
Set the front of the mower two settings higher than the back. Slow your ground speed. In mulching, set on #9 (almost mulching) and empty often.

olgeezershonda

Threads
Understood and thanks. I’m in SC and over seeded my fescue lawn a few weeks ago so I’m limited on how close I can cut. Additionally, I have some oak trees that are just starting to drop some leaves which can smother the new growth. I’d like to minimize the damage those leaves are doing to my new grass.
I see. Just thinking aloud but what about a leaf blower to sweep the fallen leaves away? The new seedlings should be somewhat rooted in by now and not be disturbed as long as you don't point it too close in front of you.

BudLight

Threads
I’ve been thinking along the same lines. I think I’m going to try that this week. Thanks.